Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wing mirror - spontaneous combustion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301214)

Forrest Dec 3rd, 2019 22:47

Wing mirror - spontaneous combustion

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is explained by the heating element going faulty. I thought it a bit odd that I could smell burning plastic at both ends of my commute. It has burnt all the silver off the mirror. Replacement glass on order. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen.

Laird Scooby Dec 3rd, 2019 22:51

It's all smoke and mirrors................

Seen a couple go like that in the past, not common though.

john.wigley Dec 3rd, 2019 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2577651)
It's all smoke and mirrors................

Seen a couple go like that in the past, not common though.

No politics now, if you please, 'L.S.'! :regular_smile: J.

Laird Scooby Dec 3rd, 2019 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2577659)
No politics now, if you please, 'L.S.'! :regular_smile: J.

The way politics is going John, that's more "cloak and dagger" than smoke and mirrors. :eek:

SCB Dec 3rd, 2019 23:41

‘Exploding’ rear view mirror

My V40 rear view mirror’ exploded whilst parked up on the drive in the early hours of Saturday morning. We heard two loud bangs, on the security camera, and then the alarm was activated. Bits of the mirror had fired off and the surface is black and cracked. Some damage to the black coating on the windscreen too. Glad I wasn’t drinking at the time! Anyone had any similar occurrences?

aardvarkash10 Dec 4th, 2019 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCB (Post 2577665)
Anyone had any similar occurrences?

Driving through southern Yugoslavia, 1987, heading north out of Greece. A caravan of australasian-infested VW kombis.

Suddenly, the very old split-screen 1200cc model at the rear passes everyone at max velocity. We give chase and about 20km down the road catch up.

The owner of the splitter is found poking his finger through a large and unwelcome bullethole in the driver side wing mirror - punctured from the rear ot the front, so shot was from behind him. He had a beer in the other hand which we reckoned was reasonable under the circumstances.

SCB Dec 4th, 2019 06:28

Predictive text!

Should have read ‘Glad I wasn’t driving at the time! ‘

Laird Scooby Dec 4th, 2019 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCB (Post 2577680)
Should have read ‘Glad I wasn’t driving at the time! ‘

I preferred the original! :beer: :thumbs_up:

Laird Scooby Dec 4th, 2019 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 (Post 2577669)
Driving through southern Yugoslavia, 1987, heading north out of Greece. A caravan of australasian-infested VW kombis.

Suddenly, the very old split-screen 1200cc model at the rear passes everyone at max velocity. We give chase and about 20km down the road catch up.

The owner of the splitter is found poking his finger through a large and unwelcome bullethole in the driver side wing mirror - punctured from the rear ot the front, so shot was from behind him. He had a beer in the other hand which we reckoned was reasonable under the circumstances.

Obviously someone native to Yugoslavia hadn't been told WWII ended 42 years previously............ :speechless-smiley-5

bob12 Dec 4th, 2019 11:56

Does that mean that it was heating continuously as the thermal cut-out (if that's what it is rather than a timer) wasn't working?

The mirror frame looks like the 'old' style' with the screw driver up the base to lock and unlock the mirror. As the later style fitting ring doesn't fit should you find a replacement supplier grateful you let us know where you found it.

Bob :)