Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Whats this tomfoolery (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296461)

onyourbikenate Jul 9th, 2019 18:45

Whats this tomfoolery

so picked up the XC70 not long ago and just noticed something weird.

thats a photo of it on the listing that i bought it from
https://i.imgur.com/KChVpOn.jpg

then this is a photo of it last weekend after i washed it

https://i.imgur.com/WZqVo8R.jpg

whats happened to the rear side window... the trim is upside down and a different colour. had a look online and it looks like the window from a v70 so its a different trim.

i'm SURE i would of noticed it when i went to view it but now im not too sure! I picked it up the day after viewing it so surely it couldnt of been replaced so quickly..

can't stop seeing it now i've bloody noticed it. interestingly when i first plugged into vida it had an old fault about a window breakage or something but i cleared it before I realised that this window isnt the right one.

guess it doesnt really make any difference but i'm guessing the seller must of accidentally broken it and just replaced with a v70 one from the scrappy, i couldnt see any evidence of damage anywhere. and nothing is missing from it.

i'm probably going to do absolutely nothing about it but you know.. kind of annoyed at myself for missing it!

JRL Jul 9th, 2019 20:49

Now that is weird. Is the one on the other side matching or has it got trim like in the listing pic? If so then perhaps the original pic has been reversed?

Jms153 Jul 9th, 2019 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL (Post 2535107)
Now that is weird. Is the one on the other side matching or has it got trim like in the listing pic? If so then perhaps the original pic has been reversed?

Pic not reversed
Fuel filler is still on the right side
No idea what they have done to car

eternal optimist Jul 9th, 2019 22:40

That would drive me absolutely nuts.

onyourbikenate Jul 10th, 2019 07:59

The other side is the right trim. Right colour.

So must of been broken and seller couldn’t be arsed to buy the right part.

Annoying

ASt85 Jul 10th, 2019 08:12

Certainly very disconcerting, but it might be easily missed in the walk round as it matches the roof rails. Does it have the correct alarm &/or aerial wires in the glass?

The photo in the listing has to be from before the rear window replacement, perhaps the only way to place the approximate date of the photo might be the foliage on the trees or if you have a copy of the original listing on-line saved the jpegs might have their original date rather than the upload date.

eternal optimist Jul 10th, 2019 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyourbikenate (Post 2535190)
The other side is the right trim. Right colour.

So must of been broken and seller couldn’t be arsed to buy the right part.

Annoying

That will eat away at you until you get it fixed. Bite the bullet now before the irritation makes you do something irrational. But maybe that's just my OCD speaking out loud again.

onyourbikenate Jul 10th, 2019 17:42

Ah it’s not the end of the world I have a bit of ocd but this isn’t bothering me unless it starts to become a problem.

It does have wires in the glass but bet they’re not wired up after all if you don’t see the difference in the trim seems unlikely they would bother to sort out the wiring.

I’ll get the engine serviced and cam belt done before I think about doing anything with the window.

Georgeandkira Jul 10th, 2019 18:18

Just a preliminary 2¢:

The window moulding in the "after" pic looks homemade.

Passing note: I looked at a 2012 XC-90 R design w/125K on it today at the wholesales near me (next to Teterboro Airport). I'm thinking of trading my late sister's 2012 Mazda3 iTouring for it.

Lancee Jul 20th, 2019 16:10

The photo on the listing is not one of the car you bought ?

I quite like playing spot the difference !

The trim on your car is totally different to the listing picture ? The listing picture shows a much thicker trim along the bottom edge ?

It's difficult to compare exactly as your picture is from a different angle, but it looks like your car may actually be missing an additional piece of trim, or has the wrong window/trim ?

I have two standard V70,s parked outside now and after looking at the rear windows on both, neither is the same as the one in the listing pic'

I see the cars are XC70's. Maybe the XC70 has an additional/differing piece of trim and the one on your car has been "lost" or was never there in the first place?

If you bought it from a dealer get them to put it right as the car supplied differs from the one as advertised. Having the wool potentially pulled over my eyes is the main thing that would bother me. Looks like it possibly wasn't a genuine seller. I hope there are no less obvious issues.