Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   official electrics v universal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307053)

neilrlsmith Jun 17th, 2020 11:51

official electrics v universal

Hi - I paid extra for official Volvo electrics because I was told by the fitter that the car 'would know it was there'...Is there any way I can check? Shoud it now be seen somewhere on the screen under 'my car'? Thanks.

Whyman Jun 17th, 2020 21:25

You have made the right choice.

The fitter was correct but there is no way to tell unless something goes wrong. Try taking a bulb out on the trailer or caravan and the Volvo system will tell which one you have removed.

It also adapts the stability control to make sure the trailer does not start to sway, switches off the rear fogs and the parking sensors when the trailer is at.

neilrlsmith Jun 18th, 2020 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyman (Post 2639904)
You have made the right choice.

The fitter was correct but there is no way to tell unless something goes wrong. Try taking a bulb out on the trailer or caravan and the Volvo system will tell which one you have removed.

It also adapts the stability control to make sure the trailer does not start to sway, switches off the rear fogs and the parking sensors when the trailer is at.

My parking sensors are on continously when in reverse. Does that mean a problem?

Adrian888 Jun 18th, 2020 11:52

Means the sensors are too sensitive and detecting the towball. Is it detachable?

Otherwise agree with the above, dedicated wiring is always the best option. Suggest check as above with taking out a trailer bulb.

neilrlsmith Jun 18th, 2020 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian888 (Post 2640049)
Means the sensors are too sensitive and detecting the towball. Is it detachable?

Otherwise agree with the above, dedicated wiring is always the best option. Suggest check as above with taking out a trailer bulb.

Yes. And will check with bulb but think all is in order!

Clan Jun 18th, 2020 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilrlsmith (Post 2639985)
My parking sensors are on continously when in reverse. Does that mean a problem?

do you mean only when the caravan is on the back ?

are the sensors genuine volvo ?

Who fitted the tow bar electrics , did they download the software for them?

neilrlsmith Jun 18th, 2020 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2640077)
do you mean only when the caravan is on the back ?

are the sensors genuine volvo ?

Who fitted the tow bar electrics , did they download the software for them?

It's a bike rack. Fitted by independant auto electrcian and so no, he wouldnt have downloaded software.

Clan Jun 18th, 2020 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilrlsmith (Post 2640078)
It's a bike rack. Fitted by independant auto electrcian and so no, he wouldnt have downloaded software.

ahh right , so he fitted non volvo electrics for the bike rack lights?

neilrlsmith Jun 18th, 2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2640081)
ahh right , so he fitted non volvo electrics for the bike rack lights?

The bike rack has a 7 pin which goes in to the electrics. The guy fitted the tow bar with the official volvo tow bar electrics. All works fine it's just that the sensors go off all the time and therefore I thought maybe he hadnt fitted the electrics properly but I think he probably did.

Clan Jun 18th, 2020 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilrlsmith (Post 2640083)
The bike rack has a 7 pin which goes in to the electrics. The guy fitted the tow bar with the official volvo tow bar electrics. All works fine it's just that the sensors go off all the time and therefore I thought maybe he hadnt fitted the electrics properly but I think he probably did.

volvo havent supplied any of their towbar 7 Pin kits for about 13 years so i guess he was telling fibs ....

The genuine volvo Towing electrical kits are all 13 pin and need the software to go with them to activate the towing functions , one of them is de-activating the parking sensors when something is being towed .