Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Smartphone Integration... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287491)

Godstone27 Oct 14th, 2018 00:04

Smartphone Integration...

Put my order in last week and am now patiently waiting....
Have added quite a few extras to my Inscription Pro T5 but am wondering if I should add the smartphone integration,who has it and what do you think of it?
I've always just linked via bluetooth to make calls etc,assuming that's still possible.
Also,can you still track your cars production? I did it last time and enjoyed the experience...my Volvo id is in use with my current cars VOC so not sure if I can still do it?
I apologise in advance if these questions have been answered already!

Crockers Oct 14th, 2018 08:47

All depends if you want Apple car play / Android Auto. I rather like it b

Parky12 Oct 14th, 2018 09:22

I am hoping the standard connectivity is good enough. I was going to get a SIM card so the mapping is connected and will get traffic updates

The only reason I use Android CarPlay at the moment is the SIM that came with the car has expired and is not worth replacing as the car goes back this month

I am also not keen on the take-over of the screen by the phone, it ruins what is a nice layout in the Audi. Similarly I am looking forward to the glorious real estate on the Volvo screen :regular_smile:

encroute Oct 14th, 2018 10:02

I was really keen on Android Integration for Google Maps and ease of playback for Audible/Podcasts etc.

However I have used Droid Macro to switch on WiFi Hotspot on detection of the car's Bluetooth, and off when away - and that with the Bluetooth which reconnects automatically (and a better than expected map system) means I'm not using it that much.

In addition SMS Messages are not available through Android Auto.

I'll probably use it for longer journeys, but day to day I'm not really using it and have switched off Auto start when plugged in to charge..

simonjedrake Oct 14th, 2018 10:54

Of all the options I ticked, after 4 weeks this one is the only one that I would not tick again.
In my case I have all my music on an iTouch (aks iPod) which is my main music source so I do not use the my iPhone via CarPlay for music, but if I had to use my iPhone for music then I would be using CarPlay for its integration.
To justify my option choice, I am hoping that it future proofs the next stage of CarPlay over the next few years!

paulod Oct 14th, 2018 10:57

I've just came from an Audi that had Apple Carplay to a T5 without it and to be honest the only thing I miss is being able to dictate text message replies when driving.
Other than that I don't miss it at all pretty much everything I used my phone for in my old car can be done via the standard set up.

Godstone27 Oct 14th, 2018 11:39

Thanks everyone, something to think about today! Does anyone know about my other query re the tracking of the car from production to shipping?

Many thanks

nu11eaf Oct 14th, 2018 11:46

I do not have apple/android carplay, I refuse to pay £300 for something that should be standard and is really of very little use, and I can dictate text messages no problem at all, not that I ever want or have a need to when driving.

I am retired now but even before retirement my company had a driver safety policy that did not allow any in car phone interaction while driving, even hands free.

Company safety rule No 1, " NOTHING we do at (company name) is worth getting hurt for or putting anyone else at risk"

Lexman8 Oct 14th, 2018 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulod (Post 2457247)
the only thing I miss is being able to dictate text message replies when driving.

You can do this; iirc you select reply from the driver's display using the steering wheel controls.

S90 Oct 14th, 2018 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2457263)
I do not have apple/android carplay, I refuse to pay £300 for something that should be standard and is really of very little use, and I can dictate text messages no problem at all, not that I ever want or have a need to when driving.

I am retired now but even before retirement my company had a driver safety policy that did not allow any in car phone interaction while driving, even hands free.

Company safety rule No 1, " NOTHING we do at (company name) is worth getting hurt for or putting anyone else at risk"

Fortunately not everyone lives in the dark ages and handsfree is perfectly safe as is voice control, or do you not use that either. Apple CarPlay might be a bit expensive, but it's not standard on most higher end cars apart from Audi at the moment, but it will likely become standard the cheaper it gets to licence. No car manufacturer is going to fit something which costs them extra for people to no use it, far better it be an option for those that will use it.