Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lowering...would you do it? or do it again on your next car? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=218530)

Ninja59 Nov 23rd, 2014 18:31

Lowering...would you do it? or do it again on your next car?

I know some of us do love a bit of lowering (including myself albeit with the MX5). I am definitely a convert in that respect and am glad I got it done (even if it was me going I will ignore the bill entirely).

Those that have not done it would you consider it?

Those that have done it which route have you followed? Spring only? Shocks and springs replaced or coilovers?

=============================================
I must admit for the some the MX5 of course is already a "lowish" car so some would question why lower it but it kill arch gap appearance wise and slot some Bilstein B6 and Eibach springs on was the best move I have made (along with full geo).

I know plenty in the MX5 world that have one caveat to lowering which is speed humps that obstacle that you used to have no problem with is now a massive challenge and headache to be taken a ultra slow speed...my personal experience is an absolute hatred of train stations where generally I can be found gently making contact with one particular undershield (now needing to replaced as it is showing some light wear and tear as in slightly bent at one edge).

So my overview is probably it is worth it you just have to adapt sometimes (and pee off some other road users who want to take a giant speed hump at silly speeds).

GMcL Nov 23rd, 2014 18:37

For an R-design Volvo I'd say no.

It's plenty stiff enough and will out corner a Merc SLK round a 270 degree bend (slip road) with the vector braking.

With speed humps and the state of the roads I can't see any benefit unless you do track days on a regular basis but then a 2.0 litre diesel would probably not be high on your buying list.

Harvey1512 Nov 23rd, 2014 18:39

As someone who puts comfort at the top of my list then no is my answer. I am also heading higher in my cars rather than lower. We are heading in opposite directions.

tt82 Nov 23rd, 2014 18:48

Mine is an R-Design so it's already 10mm lower.

Personally though, it's not the tarmac to car height that you look at that gives a good impression, it's how well the wheels fill the arches. That's why I'm moving from 240/40R18 to 245/45R18 tyres. They fill the arches better, will offer more comfort and the height difference from the tarmac is negligible. (It actually raises the car back up 10mm to standard height.)

ps, yes I know all about different tyre sizes affecting the speedo so no lectures please.

Thanatos Nov 23rd, 2014 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt82 (Post 1787117)
Mine is an R-Design so it's already 10mm lower.

Personally though, it's not the tarmac to car height that you look at that gives a good impression, it's how well the wheels fill the arches. That's why I'm moving from 240/40R18 to 245/45R18 tyres. They fill the arches better, will offer more comfort and the height difference from the tarmac is negligible. (It actually raises the car back up 10mm to standard height.)

ps, yes I know all about different tyre sizes affecting the speedo so no lectures please.

Simon if you remove Hollie from the car then you would be at normal height :lol:

DaveNP Nov 23rd, 2014 18:59

For looks the V70 does seem to be a little too high on it's springs as standard, but with the roads around here being so appalling I think I'll stay at standard height.

John_C Nov 23rd, 2014 19:03

Only reason I'd go lower is to improve the handling, but many cars are so stupidly stiff as a result of being so heavy these days that's it's irrelevant.

I've lowered cars in the past and would again. Shocks and springs usually, but for the clio I'll probably go for a set of adjustable coilovers at some point.

500tie Nov 23rd, 2014 19:07

I've done it before on most of my cars a lot of the time it was for looks, some of the time it was for handling and on my subaru it was the fact that the standard suspension was poorly made and failed a lot, so I switched that to coilovers. If I was to do it again and I'll be honest I probably will then I'll be going down the route of good quality coilovers again it really made the car a whole lot better

blackrevolver Nov 23rd, 2014 19:28

I like the fact that my s70 is as standard, no modifications at all, everything is as standard but If I purchased a second car, a car more sporty in design and setup then I would consider having the lowered if it improved the handling, but wouldn't do it just for appearance.

classicswede Nov 23rd, 2014 19:40

I've lowered most of my cars from a little to a lot however with the daily S80 (2001) I am just about to fit some uprated dampers and will also fit some stiffer springs but keep the factory ride height. It is silly soft and does not take the bumps so well because it is too soft.

Springs and dampers are the best way for a road car. Coilovers have a lot of comprimise and not so good for a road car. Coilovers on a road car are only for when you want a big drop