Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   intank fuel pump (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294953)

atco May 20th, 2019 21:02

intank fuel pump

my 740 seems to be suffering from fuel not getting to the engine .the car wont start and a machanic said to replace the fuel relay .ive now changed the relay but still not starting.checked the pump and its no good so i replaced it and it still wont start.how do i check the intank fuel pump is not working.maybe i should have changed all three at the same time.

Stephen Edwin May 20th, 2019 22:02

Sorry you've got that problem.

I would stop spending money for a while. Instead concentrate on trying to establish the cause. It could be as simple as a fuse.

I suspect the forum "experts" will be along soon to advise you as to diagnostic techniques.

mocambique-amazone May 20th, 2019 22:10

At first: Do you own a ball made of glass?
I do not

What year this 740 is made?
Carb (I don't thik so)?
K-Jet?
LH2.2?
LH2.4?
Diesel?
B280 (V6)?

without to know this I can't help you, other may be more wise (or own a ball made of glass)

good night, Kay

Laird Scooby May 20th, 2019 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone (Post 2522180)
At first: Do you own a ball made of glass?
I do not

What year this 740 is made?
Carb (I don't thik so)?
K-Jet?
LH2.2?
LH2.4?
Diesel?
B280 (V6)?

without to know this I can't help you, other may be more wise (or own a ball made of glass)

good night, Kay

Kay - if memory serves it's a 1988 B230E K-Jet. Would also be helpful to know if it's an estate to know if the 3-pole connector in the cubby hole to the left of the spare wheel wel is easily found. Then use a slave battery to feed the in-tank pump directly.

atco May 20th, 2019 22:50

fuel pump

hi dave yes your right its a saloon 230e

aardvarkash10 May 21st, 2019 05:18

diagnosis, or a cheque book and dice.

Make a choice.

If the choice is diagnosis, what tools do you have?

If the choice is cheque books and dice, just keep replacing stuff until it goes again.

Out of interest, what led your mechanic to diagnose the fuel pump relay?

atco May 21st, 2019 10:22

fuel pump

he took the air cleaning tube of and sprayed some easy start down the tube and come to the fact that there is no fuel getting to the engine.so he said start with the relay i changed the pump but no start .i checked the pump on a tester and there is no power in it.i changed the pump but still wont start.so im usuming its got to be the intank pump not pushing fuel thro the engine

Clan May 21st, 2019 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by atco (Post 2522281)
he took the air cleaning tube of and sprayed some easy start down the tube and come to the fact that there is no fuel getting to the engine.so he said start with the relay i changed the pump but no start .i checked the pump on a tester and there is no power in it.i changed the pump but still wont start.so im usuming its got to be the intank pump not pushing fuel thro the engine

He checked the pump and no power in it? does it turn with a noise or nothing happens ?
It is all a bit vague as if he doesn't know what he is doing . All fuel injection systems are similar . Generally the engine will run if the tank pump is faulty and there is half a tank or more of fuel , but it will make the main pump noisy as air bubbles are drawn through .

Laird Scooby May 21st, 2019 10:47

Radio Suppression Relay - RSR - mounted either on the inner wing on the left or by the coolant expansion tank.

However, it's a B230E so it's K-Jet and won't have that.

Did it run with Easystart?

atco May 21st, 2019 20:22

fuel pump

it wants to start with the easy start.but then fails to.is the intank pump supost to make a noise on the turn of the key or does it stay silent