Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   T4 Oil ?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118976)

pacman67 Mar 10th, 2011 21:45

T4 Oil ??

Ive tried a search for the answer, but couldnt find a definative. My 98 V40 T4 defo needs an oil change, but which grade can you recommend. Castrol site says 5w40 for edge, and 10w40 for magnatec ?? Eurocarparts lists 5w30, 5w40, and 10w40 ??, Andrew Page suggested 10w40, so i,m confused.

BobbyV Mar 10th, 2011 22:16

I use 5w30 fully synh but it does burn fast but it was what my volvo garage recommend, depends on your cars mileage too

pacman67 Mar 10th, 2011 22:23

Ok mileage is 54k, confusion also as handbook is 99, but car is 98 build, if there oils are different.

andy_d Mar 10th, 2011 22:23

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-fi...-finder-2.aspx

Opie oils have a neat "what oil" web app

they seem to be saying 5w40 ...but have a check there for a proper answer.

Dandle Mar 10th, 2011 23:32

I used to use http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60169-si...e-engines.aspx. Had my car up to 90k miles and it never burnt any oil between my 10k changes.

andy_d Mar 10th, 2011 23:49

ill second silkolene , used it for Year in road and race bikes, never had a oil related issue at all

960kg Mar 11th, 2011 09:04

.....to be honest the way things are in this country with money ,i don`t see any point in paying £53 for 5ltrs of oil .......you will need two to do an oil change = £106.......or buy extra 2litr bottle if they do it?......the reason i say this is because this oil will give absolute full protection for 10,000mls before a change BUT we are stuck in traffic even on the motorways and one cannot use the full power of the T4 most of the time.......a lot of people on here use the Castrol Magnatec 10W 40 including myself and it cost about £23 for 4 litres and change the oil at 5000mls ....so all in all you get two CLEAN oil changes for two thirds of the price in 10000mls instead of ONE .....

Rufe Mar 11th, 2011 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 960kg (Post 860442)
a lot of people on here use the Castrol Magnatec 10W 40 including myself

This is what Volvo would recommend for this vehicle.

Simon :)

Dandle Mar 11th, 2011 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 960kg (Post 860442)
.....to be honest the way things are in this country with money ,i don`t see any point in paying £53 for 5ltrs of oil .......you will need two to do an oil change = £106.......or buy extra 2litr bottle if they do it?......the reason i say this is because this oil will give absolute full protection for 10,000mls before a change BUT we are stuck in traffic even on the motorways and one cannot use the full power of the T4 most of the time.......a lot of people on here use the Castrol Magnatec 10W 40 including myself and it cost about £23 for 4 litres and change the oil at 5000mls ....so all in all you get two CLEAN oil changes for two thirds of the price in 10000mls instead of ONE .....

Why would you need two? I only used to buy one and that was enough for my oil change and my car never needed topping up between. It gives extra protection over a mineral based oil like magnatec even if you do two mineral oil changed to a good synthetics one it wont break down as much. I ran my car the best way I could and wasn't worried about an extra £30 on oil if I believed it protected the engine more. I think it worked as the car now has well over 100k on it and still doesn't burn any oil between changes.

960kg Mar 11th, 2011 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandle (Post 860538)
Why would you need two? I only used to buy one and that was enough for my oil change and my car never needed topping up between. It gives extra protection over a mineral based oil like magnatec even if you do two mineral oil changed to a good synthetics one it wont break down as much. I ran my car the best way I could and wasn't worried about an extra £30 on oil if I believed it protected the engine more. I think it worked as the car now has well over 100k on it and still doesn't burn any oil between changes.

......don`t know how you changed your oil completely with one 5 litre bottle??....yes the engine sump capacity is 4.3 litres but for the oil filter you have to add 1 litre = 5.3 litres !!.....i have just changed the oil on both my cars and they were the same 5.3 litres......also we are not talking two mineral changes we are talking two Semi-Synthetic changes...

..... synthetic oil ranges have a certain percentage of non-synthetic or mineral oil in them up to 30%, that is why they mix readily, only Vegetables oils such as the famous Castrol R, a complete flush out was necessary to avoid clumping.....semi-synthetic Magnatec has been used in my T4 for all it`s 122000mls ( i have the full Volvo Service History ) and it doesn`t need any top up either between changes........as for two changes instead of one in 10,000 i prefer two because the same oil is running for the one duration and after all the burnt carbons which the oil soaks up to degrade it is halved, also as said we don`t reach the really high temperatures to warrant fully synth oil, most cars average on the info centre must be only 30mph if your lucky mine says 65mph at the moment because of my long run to Gloucester and back, although on the motorway for 6 hrs at fast speeds the turbo is on nearly minus boost so the engine temp. is the same as a naturally aspirated one especially as it has a low compression ratio......Pacman67 was confused what oil to use so at least now he can have a read and decide if he wants to save a bit of money with no detriment to his engine.....