Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60d5 2004 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287576)

biggbn Oct 16th, 2018 15:20

S60d5 2004

I have the chance of what looks like a decent s60d5 auto, 140k miles, owned, and LOVED by my mechanic for the last 6 months. He has fitted wind deflectors, new tyres all round, rear window tint etc and he is a good guy, known him for years. Now, I owned a s80 with this motor and loved it but it was a manual. I am not a fast driver, 60mph cruise on on longer trips...what will the car likely return mpg with the auto box? He wants 1200 for car, I know that's exactly what it owes him, doesn't seem to expensive. Any problems with auto box?

Tomoose Oct 16th, 2018 15:42

Average over mixed driving will be 36mpg to 38mpg I reckon.

Autoboxes are strong as long as the oil is changed every 60k or so. If theres evidence of gearbox oil changes then awesome, if not take it for a good 45 minute drive or so to make sure there are no issues and budget to get the oil changed.

Volvo said they were 'sealed for life', but they really do need those changes to keep things reliable.

biggbn Oct 16th, 2018 16:14

Wow, not impressed with that mpg. I got that week in week out with my e39 525i auto and that was a petrol. Used to get nigh on 50mpg with s80. Does autobox make THAT much difference, if so I will look elsewhere.

Tunneruk Oct 17th, 2018 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbn (Post 2458075)
Wow, not impressed with that mpg. I got that week in week out with my e39 525i auto and that was a petrol. Used to get nigh on 50mpg with s80. Does autobox make THAT much difference, if so I will look elsewhere.

I would suggest (respectfully) that the figures quoted above are a little pessimistic, especially given that you cruise along at 60mph. On a run you should easily expect 50+mpg of you're only doing 60 .... around town is where it's going to hurt you.

Spike56 Oct 17th, 2018 11:51

I have asked this is the other S60 section. What engine do you have in it? My S80 was 163bhp and my new S60 is 202bhp. Driven the same way (and given that the S60 is slightly smaller) the mpg you've been quoted seems to tally with mine!

Nice car though!

dave c59 Oct 17th, 2018 14:46

My S60 auto gives me a reported 42.7mpg, but that's mostly town driving with the occasional run.

biggbn Oct 18th, 2018 02:22

Thanks all. Am wee bit scared of the autobox, depends how its been looked after and driven I guess. My mechanic mate is only selling it as he has bought a vw t4 to convert to a camper. Values of these cars seem all over the place, will see if a deal can be done. Sold my e39 525i and been running my daughters Kia picanto, which is not a bad wee motor, but it's just not the same!!

The Edge Oct 18th, 2018 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbn (Post 2458592)
Thanks all. Am wee bit scared of the autobox, depends how its been looked after and driven I guess. My mechanic mate is only selling it as he has bought a vw t4 to convert to a camper. Values of these cars seem all over the place, will see if a deal can be done. Sold my e39 525i and been running my daughters Kia picanto, which is not a bad wee motor, but it's just not the same!!

I bought a V70 with this gearbox about three years ago. Larger car, mainly motorway miles and a lot of towing quite heavy items yielded between 40 and 45 mpg on the computer.

In normal non-towing driving I think I was getting around 45mpg real world.

I've had two S60's. apart from being a little small in the back its V70 comfort at a fraction of the price and my experience of the manuals I had was 50+mpg was easily possible.

What you will need to bear in mind that Diesel's days are numbered as regular transport and I'm sure we will start to see additional fuel tax/road tax and clean air zones aimed squarely at the Diesel engine.

biggbn Oct 18th, 2018 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Edge (Post 2458614)
I bought a V70 with this gearbox about three years ago. Larger car, mainly motorway miles and a lot of towing quite heavy items yielded between 40 and 45 mpg on the computer.

In normal non-towing driving I think I was getting around 45mpg real world.

I've had two S60's. apart from being a little small in the back its V70 comfort at a fraction of the price and my experience of the manuals I had was 50+mpg was easily possible.

What you will need to bear in mind that Diesel's days are numbered as regular transport and I'm sure we will start to see additional fuel tax/road tax and clean air zones aimed squarely at the Diesel engine.

It will only need last for 6 months, that's my usual turnaround for cars. I rack up a lot of miles!!

reggit Oct 19th, 2018 06:46

V70 manual returns low 50s on motorways at around legal limit. Guessing auto will shave 3-4 off this, so I’d expect high 40s at best, but all use age dependant.