Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wheel stud size on V40 2001 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299958)

nickar Oct 27th, 2019 12:21

Wheel stud size on V40 2001

Hi,

I fitted some Arcadia wheels to my 2001 V40 a while ago and when there is weight in the back, the rear wheels rub on the inner edge. I read somewhere on here that 5mm spacers should sort it. I have already renewed all the rear suspension (including arms and bushes) and had four wheel alignment done.

My question is; what size are the existing wheel studs please (thread and length)? I need to buy some that are 5mm longer to compensate for the extra 5mm of wheel with the spacers installed.

Thank you.

clarkey1984 Oct 27th, 2019 13:11

These cars have nuts as opposed to studs, I'm running 5mm spacers all round with my MK2 mitsubishi gallant 17s on and the standard nuts are fine as there's more than enough threads to accommodate that extra 5mm of depth, the thread size is M12 x 1.5mm though in case you need it, I'm using ford 19mm headed nuts on mine as back when I had the momo Gt2 wheels the 21mm wheel brace for the standard nuts wouldn't fit down the holes in the wheel.

nickar Nov 10th, 2019 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2566442)
These cars have nuts as opposed to studs, I'm running 5mm spacers all round with my MK2 mitsubishi gallant 17s on and the standard nuts are fine as there's more than enough threads to accommodate that extra 5mm of depth, the thread size is M12 x 1.5mm though in case you need it, I'm using ford 19mm headed nuts on mine as back when I had the momo Gt2 wheels the 21mm wheel brace for the standard nuts wouldn't fit down the holes in the wheel.

Sorry for the delayed reply but thanks for that.

gatos Nov 10th, 2019 19:17

Just saw this post. I had some rubbing issues too when I first fitted the arcadias and in my case, all I had to do, was to remove the bolt at the front of the rear wheel arches. Every time I went over a bump and the rear would be lowered for that one second, it would run on the head of that bolt. Since I removed it, problem was gone for good

nickar Nov 10th, 2019 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 2570759)
Just saw this post. I had some rubbing issues too when I first fitted the arcadias and in my case, all I had to do, was to remove the bolt at the front of the rear wheel arches. Every time I went over a bump and the rear would be lowered for that one second, it would run on the head of that bolt. Since I removed it, problem was gone for good

The inner edge of my tyres was wearing faster than the rest though. I thought it was the camber on the rear wheels but I had it all adjusted and still get the same noise when hitting bumps with a heavy load in the back. I don't think it's those bolts on mine even though they are close.

clarkey1984 Nov 10th, 2019 20:25

I should have also mentioned the bolts, mine used to catch, until I removed those bolts, id forgotten that, but then I also had to redo the wheel arch lip, I bent mine back over so it's now U shaped and repainted it all, I think it's because I'm running 205/50/17 tyres (I think standard was 215/45) so they're just that little bit taller than they should be, I did some calculations before when the Speedo was way out (car came with 205/40 rubber on) Speedo said 30 but real speed was only 26, so I worked out some percentages and now it's accurate to within about 1 percent, if I'm doing 70 on the Speedo it's actually 69.3 or something now, according to GPS anyway, plus taller sidewalls fill the arches a little more and give the illusion that the car is lower than it is.

gatos Nov 11th, 2019 00:06

I was also going to ask. What size wheels do you have? As Clarkey1984 said, the correct size is 215/45/17

nickar Nov 16th, 2019 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 2570862)
I was also going to ask. What size wheels do you have? As Clarkey1984 said, the correct size is 215/45/17

I have 215 45 17. My car is earlier than those that came with Arcadia wheels and I assume it doesn't have sports suspension. It was rubbing again today over a few harsh bumps. I was worried about using the spacers I have after my mechanic said to get extended studs but if it's definitely alright to just add the spacers, I'll try them out.

nickar Nov 16th, 2019 23:24

I forgot to say I actually rolled the arches in on mine as well a while ago when I thought the wheel was rubbing on the outer edge.

clarkey1984 Nov 17th, 2019 08:41

Yes I'm pretty sure that the cars that came with Arcadia's from the factory had something done to the rear arches as standard.