Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "Black boxes" for insurance (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=164618)

LJD Oct 16th, 2012 20:35

"Black boxes" for insurance

heard a lot about these been rolled out and the chances of them been almost common place within 2 years ....

Now either you buy a french car etc and get it registered over there or you have no idea what info is ben used by who etc

well not quite ...
I have heard on the "vine" and one vine that is well connected . That a rather clever group of lads have gained access to a few of these devices and "cracked" them .

the security software was nothing special . And these guys have a idea how to go about your life without been snooped on. They think the monitoring company etc will have no idea of the fact "fake information" is been logged to your advantage

no idea how and what etc , just that its been very very well looked into by the clever ones that eat lots of potatoes

tt82 Oct 16th, 2012 20:46

Security will improve as they become more common. I'm registering my car at my sisters in the Isle of Man

LJD Oct 16th, 2012 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt82 (Post 1270914)
Security will improve as they become more common. I'm registering my car at my sisters in the Isle of Man

Thats what Sony thought with the PSP etc , within weeks they could be hacked in your local high street

its a very very bad idea to give them this much power . this will not see costs go down at all, This is the beginning of a huge rise in insurance costs again

Volvo2002 Oct 16th, 2012 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJD (Post 1270974)
Thats what Sony thought with the PSP etc , within weeks they could be hacked in your local high street

its a very very bad idea to give them this much power . this will not see costs go down at all, This is the beginning of a huge rise in insurance costs again

Well can't complain myself. Paying £38 per month and it's making my cars running a lot easier (skint) lol

James_N Oct 17th, 2012 02:55

The more people try and stop people hacking / cracking things, the more the "underground" people will try and crack it!

Take MS Windows. Every new version has more advanced activation technologies to stop you being able to crack it, yet within a few days, a work around fix is found.

Iphones / Ipads - same with them, jailbroken in days.

If people can hack into NASA and the pentagon, then people will be able to crack these black boxes :)

I read on another forum this evening that Bell Insurance company are making the black boxes compulsory if you take out insurance with them.

Jp003 Oct 18th, 2012 01:03

You won't see me having one of those black boxes, this country is a joke.

t5_monkey Oct 18th, 2012 01:59

unless you NEVER speed, drive quickly, or do anything wrong, or even legitimately enjoy the performance of your vehicle.... this is a rather bad idea.

James_N Oct 18th, 2012 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp003 (Post 1271766)
You won't see me having one of those black boxes, this country is a joke.

Just noticed your from my neck of the woods. Where abouts in Sunny Stafford are you? Have to give me a wave if you see my 940 knocking about. Its not hard to miss, its still got this years Le Mans window stickers on it :D

Andy Northface Oct 18th, 2012 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by t5_monkey (Post 1271774)
unless you NEVER speed, drive quickly, or do anything wrong, or even legitimately enjoy the performance of your vehicle.... this is a rather bad idea.

They will have Scalextric grooves in the friggin' road next. It seems to me as if some people would be happier if the car was banned from the road. :(

malcolmk Oct 18th, 2012 10:26

just a thought,what if you get two cars exactly the same,get the box put in one of them,and go out once a month for sunday lunch, but use the other one everyday, no one will check V numbers,just have somewhere you can hide the fake car,must use the same reg number of course,malcolmk local insurance broker. LOL.