Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Steering idler arm (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338883)

Rustinmotion Mar 19th, 2024 21:34

Steering idler arm

Just noticed I can lift the idler arm up and down a little is there any adjustment on these or am I looking at a new bush?

142 Guy Mar 20th, 2024 15:14

No adjustment.

The retaining nut for the idler arm has a washer underneath it (part #12 in the attached diagram). If the nut is tight and the washer is in place the idler arm should not be free to move up and down unless the rubber part of the bushing (part #11) has completely clapped out. The more normal failure is that the rubber fails or the inner part of the bushing sleeve wears which leads to an idler arm that wobbles on its pivot point.

A number of years ago I replaced my idler arm bushing with an original style bushing. It lasted about 4 years (with not a huge amount of use) before it developed a clunk. It appears that the idler arm bushings, like a lot of the motor and transmission mounts 'ain't what they used to be'. Second time around I replaced mine with one of those brass bushings with a grease fitting.

Rustinmotion Mar 20th, 2024 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 142 Guy (Post 2941620)
No adjustment.

The retaining nut for the idler arm has a washer underneath it (part #12 in the attached diagram). If the nut is tight and the washer is in place the idler arm should not be free to move up and down unless the rubber part of the bushing (part #11) has completely clapped out. The more normal failure is that the rubber fails or the inner part of the bushing sleeve wears which leads to an idler arm that wobbles on its pivot point.

A number of years ago I replaced my idler arm bushing with an original style bushing. It lasted about 4 years (with not a huge amount of use) before it developed a clunk. It appears that the idler arm bushings, like a lot of the motor and transmission mounts 'ain't what they used to be'. Second time around I replaced mine with one of those brass bushings with a grease fitting.

Thanks I unfastened the steering links and the arm has a lot of play on the shaft so just ordered a polyurethane version which is supposed to last

c1800 Mar 21st, 2024 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustinmotion (Post 2941676)
Thanks I unfastened the steering links and the arm has a lot of play on the shaft so just ordered a polyurethane version which is supposed to last

Have the same problem, where did you order the poly bushing?

Rustinmotion Mar 22nd, 2024 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by c1800 (Post 2941745)
Have the same problem, where did you order the poly bushing?

Brookhouse uk

Rustinmotion Mar 22nd, 2024 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustinmotion (Post 2941824)
Brookhouse uk

Pm me if you want the manufacturer and part number