Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Why do caravan owners have Model Name compulsion? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261724)

CNGBiFuel Jan 5th, 2017 18:11

Why do caravan owners have Model Name compulsion?

Why do caravan owners feel a need to tell you their model?
It's a clear practice, even outside of vanner circles. I've noticed wherever caravans are discussed, you'll be told by said caravan owner their model.

Example: I work in a mail-order company and orders come mainly via our website. For customer ease and less hassle, our order pages asked where yoru parcel could be left. Hence, "Out? Leave neighbours @ No. 54/ under rosebush / porch etc etc ". Only very often, we'll see typed "Leave the parcel under the caravan". Great I say, saves us all a lot of hassle, except they won't exactly do that. Today's order from a caravan owning customer is typical.

It says. "Out? Leave under the Sprite caravan"

i've jsut checked our database, to a man, near all will tell you the model of the caravan they want their parcel left under. Now we don't sell caravan products, even remotely near, (you will really have to believe me here). I have no clue what a Sprite is, or why we or the courier should need to know there is such a thing, and have it pointed out. I'm sure it's very nice.

Er, I'm mystified? On htsi forum, I see this too. For some queries it might be helpful to have its weight, and as I tow a plant trailer I'll sometimes check-in to this part of the parish. Except, I don't feel the need to tell you which plant trailer i run. Worse is, I don't for one minute think you'd care. Am i allowed to take the pistols here? Or is this caravan model thing something we should all take most sternly;)

You must understand, all repiles to this thread, have make and model as mandatory. Feel free to let rip.

I'll kick this off. Mine's a Richardson Toolbox trailer 1200kg.

Already I feel better.

volvo145 Jan 5th, 2017 18:58

I would say its patently obvious why he would tell you the name of caravan because some couriers cant even get the address right.
The next door neighbour might have a coachman.!!
Oh I have never heard of your trailer manufacturer either lol

Desperate Jan 5th, 2017 20:11

In a previous life I worked as a motorcycle courier and I would absolutely prefer a detailed instruction as to where the client wanted the parcel left. You would not believe the time wasted trying to find named/numberless/houses and inconspicuous post boxes down a dark country lane at night when it is pi55ing down.

Many times it was sooo tempting to chuck the forking thing in the dustbin and go home................

Desp

canis Jan 5th, 2017 20:39

I don't even know the make/model of our caravan, and I don't care! We just call it "the caravan". It's not difficult to spot, it's the big white-ish thing on two wheels on the drive, covered in algae, getting a bit leaky and gradually sinking into the mud on one side.

CNGBiFuel Jan 5th, 2017 20:42

Quote:

Many times it was sooo tempting to chuck the forking thing in the dustbin and go home................
Ah, a fellow soldier in the battle of fulfillment. At the sharp-end too. You and i know the average idiot does not know:

1. Where he lives. I can tell you he doesn't.
2. How to guide you there in 8-9 words. Look at any Paypal addrss and 98% of card addresses for proof of this.
3. Assumes because his postman knows where he is, the world does. This despite there being only a handful of UK addresses thsi might apply to.
4. Is indignant that despite 'free shipping' expects you that bloke on his door to give 10 mins to answer rather than 20-25 secs beofre you feck-off on to do the 91st drop of the 140 you have to do today. This after finding him in a street where half the houses have no numbers visible from the road including self-same idiot. Yes, I know how amny you fellas do.
5. All thsi when 'freeshipping' works in a drive to the bottom. We pay less now for an express coiurier than we did 10 years ago. Yet expectations exceed price paid by some 1000%. Some customers do get it but v.few.
6. Best of all, next day as we bring his house up on Google Street (with no number), he'll bitch. Where's my parcel?

You have all my sympathy fella. Our site begs for precise info, only we struggle to get it to pass to you couriers. But I digress.

Desparate:

Quote:

Oh I have never heard of your trailer manufacturer either lol
Caravan make and model please, or you get sent to stand in the corner.

Don't make us wait now;)

CNGBiFuel Jan 5th, 2017 20:59

Quote:

I don't even know the make/model of our caravan, and I don't care! We just call it "the caravan". It's not difficult to spot, it's the big white-ish thing on two wheels on the drive, covered in algae, getting a bit leaky and gradually sinking into the mud on one side.
no make/model - I'm guessing you're not in the CC. Clearly you've never ordered from us!

TheLeeds Jan 5th, 2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2217366)
It says. "Out? Leave under the Sprite caravan".............. I'm sure it's very nice.

I had a Sprite caravan and I certainly wouldn't have described it as nice. In fact, I don't think I'd have even admitted to owning it at the time. I'm sure it was a misprint and really started with Sh, and didn't have an 'r' in it.

CNGBiFuel Jan 5th, 2017 21:14

A Sprite = Censored.

Clearly someone with more knowledge than me.

Quote:

Recreate a visit to the homeopath by simply drinking some tap water and throwing £50 out of the window
Sounds like a viz Top-tip. If it isn't, should be.

gillberry Jan 8th, 2017 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2217430)

You sound like us, we had two in the front garden one perfect and the other was was held together with gaffer tale and was slowly getting shorter and wider

Paul240480 Jan 8th, 2017 10:12

I did have a caravan....... in fact over the years I've had 3. They were all affectionately known as 'The Jammer', due to their ability to 'jam up' the roads!:thumbs_up:

The first was a Fl.......... NO NO, must resist.......hehe