Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Wheels/Tyres: portable air compressor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301946)

Mitch3 Dec 30th, 2019 15:01

portable air compressor

I'm really tired of putting air in my tires every week (thanks to the crazy up and down temps this year). More to the point trying to find an air pump in the area that works. I'm thinking of buying a portable compressor but they all seem to say must have a 15 amp minimum system. The Volvo has a 12 amp system. Has anyone found one that will work on a 12amp without blowing a fuse?

john.wigley Dec 30th, 2019 16:32

Hi 'Mitch3',

I've been pleased with the Aldi AutoXS Analogue Air Compressor, especially given it's modest cost. (I believe they also do a digital version, which is slightly more expensive) The model number on the spec sheet is 60074 and the article number is 05/2014. This also states that the max amperage on 12 v DC is 10 amps, so it would meet your requirements in that respect.

While it is fine for 'topping up' your tyres, it does struggle to inflate one from flat. It'll do it, but it gets very hot. In fairness, the instructions warn of this and state that it should not be operated continuously for more than 30 minutes, after which it should be allowed to cool for 15 minutes. Having said that, I think running it for no more than 10 to 15 minutes at a stretch would show greater mechanical sympathy which would be rewarded with a longer service life.

If you require more information the leaflet says to contact 0113 213 7339 (M - F 09 - 17) or www.aldi.com.

Hope this helps. Regards, John.

RS3100 Dec 30th, 2019 17:30

I have a Ring RAC900. It takes more than 12A but it comes with clamp connectors to attach direct to the vehicle battery terminals rather than trying to run through a cigarette/power connector, so current is not an issue. The leads and airline are long enough to reach all tyres on a large motorhome, so will easily reach all round any car. Rated to 100 psi, easily pumps my motorhome tyres up to 65 psi and is a well regarded and apparently robust bit of kit according to posters on various motorhome forums.

xsaab Dec 30th, 2019 17:37

I have a Michelin High power Rapid tyre Inflator, works OK with the Volvo and other cars. bought from Halfords
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...-tyre-inflator

Seems to be OK, reasonably fast

green van man Dec 30th, 2019 17:47

I have a ring in the volvo and a far higher capasity T max in the landrover, for roadside inflation. I have a Draper vee twin compressor in the shed and airline long enough to reach from there to the drive and the cars and works van which runs at 65 psi. A PLC air gun on the end of the airline and all 3 vehicles tyre preasure checked and adjusted in 20 minuits.

The car 12v compressors are clamp to battery the Draper is 230v. The ring is about 10A loading and the T max 22A. 4 4x4 tyres taken from 16 psi to road preasure of 36 and 42 psi and the ring would melt.

Paul.

Dippydog Dec 30th, 2019 17:55

I have an El Cheapo one which although the pressure needle bounces about wildly gets tyres close enough to be adjusted at first opportunity and has lasted many years.I did have a Mercedes branded one[out of an A class Merc] which broke down big style -the compressor that is-after a few months!

ksmi Dec 30th, 2019 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2584719)
Hi 'Mitch3',

I've been pleased with the Aldi AutoXS Analogue Air Compressor, especially given it's modest cost. (I believe they also do a digital version, which is slightly more expensive) The model number on the spec sheet is 60074 and the article number is 05/2014. This also states that the max amperage on 12 v DC is 10 amps, so it would meet your requirements in that respect.

While it is fine for 'topping up' your tyres, it does struggle to inflate one from flat. It'll do it, but it gets very hot. In fairness, the instructions warn of this and state that it should not be operated continuously for more than 30 minutes, after which it should be allowed to cool for 15 minutes. Having said that, I think running it for no more than 10 to 15 minutes at a stretch would show greater mechanical sympathy which would be rewarded with a longer service life.

If you require more information the leaflet says to contact 0113 213 7339 (M - F 09 - 17) or www.aldi.com.

Hope this helps. Regards, John.

Also have one of the Aldi mini compressors,has a 3 year warranty on it BTW. The built in pressure gauge is surprisingly accurate, when checked against a good digital Michelin gauge. Also have a Velo track pump (looks like a stirrup pump) if I am feeling energetic! As John says, don't use it for too long,let it cool down,it's quite capable of pumping them up from empty,as long as you 'bump it around a bit' to get the tyre seated.

Regards,Keith.

Simmy Dec 30th, 2019 19:08

i have one i found in a written off honda it has a can off sealant in the compressor for when you need it

RS3100 Dec 30th, 2019 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2584776)
i have one i found in a written off honda it has a can off sealant in the compressor for when you need it

Those inflators that manufacturers put in cars in place of a spare aren't designed for regular use. If you manage to inflate more than one tyre with one befrore it burns out, you'll be doing well.

Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but you get my drift. They certainly won't last long repeatedly trying to inflate 4 tyres at regular intervals.

Often, the best you can hope for from the can of sealant is that it's the right size to wedge in the hole in the tyre :regular_smile:

EssexExile Dec 30th, 2019 21:25

Why are you putting air in your tyres every week?