Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2011 xc 90 parking brake adjustment (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312124)

Toylexus Nov 28th, 2020 18:29

2011 xc 90 parking brake adjustment

Hello all
I'm sure this has been covered many times on this forum but I'm just new here and search wont let me type on anything.
I bought new volvo shoes adjusters springs pads and discs for rear.
Firstly do I need to slacken off cable ?.
How do I go about this. I've looked at cable but looks a nightmare. I've removed clip and turned socket clockwise to cover clip insert.
What do I need to do from here.?
Havent removed old shoes yet.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

S60D5-185 Nov 28th, 2020 19:24

You are on track.

Keep turning the centre console adjuster clockwise until you feel the cable release.

Now remove rear discs and fit new VOLVO shoes and the adjusters.

Make sure that all linkages at the drum are free and not seized and that the rear disc/drum are in good serviceable condition.

Refit discs and then wind each side adjuster up through wheel bolt hole until you feel the shoes just making contact with drum.

Go inside car and apply the parking brake 2 clicks and then return to the centre console adjuster . Wind the knurled nut anti clockwise until the groove appears and refit the circlip.

Now the fun part the two sections of this adjuster are on a ratchet and need to be forced apart as much as possible to tension the cable , Various methods but some use two open ended spanners and a fulcrum to lever them apart.

I'll see if I can find other in detail threads but what I have said will sort it.:teeth_smile:

Toylexus Nov 28th, 2020 20:01

Thank you so much. I'll try and get it sorted

Toylexus Nov 29th, 2020 10:23

Fitted new volvo parts today but the spring connecting the shoes rubs against the manual adjuster. The old adjuster was much smaller and didnt catch spring. Anyone else found this.
Tried to upload pic but couldnt

Toylexus Nov 29th, 2020 10:34

1 Attachment(s)
Success

Mike A Nov 29th, 2020 12:45

Mine did the same .. no problem you can still turn adjuster I put some copper grease on area of contact ...been on car now 5 years passed mot every time ...trust this of help

paddy74 Nov 29th, 2020 13:27

That's on purpose. :) Take a look at the very detailed instructions from Skandix you can find here (with pics):

https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/...brake/3000413/

S60D5-185 Nov 29th, 2020 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toylexus (Post 2685470)
Fitted new volvo parts today but the spring connecting the shoes rubs against the manual adjuster. Anyone else found this.

Normal. 👍

Toylexus Nov 29th, 2020 17:36

Thanks to all for your advice and guidance on this. Got it finished but on the steepest hill and on 4 clicks still runs back in neutral. I know it needs bedding in. On a personal note it's a very poor handbrake. Such small shoes for such a large vehicle. The ratchet adjuster is a pain but newer cars seem to bring newer problems. Bring back the old type adjusters . I think the newer models have a new updated brake system .

S60D5-185 Nov 29th, 2020 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toylexus (Post 2685555)
Thanks to all for your advice and guidance on this. Got it finished but on the steepest hill and on 4 clicks still runs back in neutral. I know it needs bedding in. On a personal note it's a very poor handbrake. Such small shoes for such a large vehicle. The ratchet adjuster is a pain but newer cars seem to bring newer problems. Bring back the old type adjusters . I think the newer models have a new updated brake system .

Put the handbrake on 2 or 3 clicks and drive for about 150 metres SLOWLY .

That will help to bed the shoes in and is a process that should be repeated once a month or so.

I was going to say that the design and operation of this parking brake is SH!T but in all honesty it's not that good.:teeth_smile: