Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   “Frightening” high mileage option D5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277068)

Swedefarm Jan 14th, 2018 20:43

“Frightening” high mileage option D5

So with a D5 purchase on the horizon, a lot of which are in the 6 digit Club, what are your opinion on models bordering 200000 miles, preventative procedures, be wary of autos or just stick to manuals.

This rolls off my introduction post but in here it’s more specific and will probably prompt a great response..

Cars options:
V70
S60
XC70 ( further advise on 4x4 system, what to watch etc)

Rooster Jan 14th, 2018 21:39

What sort of age are you thinking??

luggsey Jan 14th, 2018 21:41

Loads of threads on high milers, and 200k is normal on a Volvo D5.
One on here is 600k plus on original engine with one replacement gearbox.
If it's high miles but well serviced usual problem area is auto box as nobody changes the oil!
Usual bits wear out on suspension and pas pump kit own to let go towards 200k, usual fault of oil not being changed.
Cam belt will fail if the auxiliary belt fails and dislodges the timing belt which they often do if not changed.
Again loads of threads on all known issues, and the lots of bedtime reading!

On a side note my 230k miles D5 just broke down, and first time in two years, I t blew off a intercooler coupling costing nothing to reconnect...
If looked after Volvo D5 engines will run on and on and........

:thumbs_up:

Swedefarm Jan 14th, 2018 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 2357817)
What sort of age are you thinking??

Between 04 and 07

So 163s & 185s, on that note, I’ve not seen much about DPF issues on the latter 185s, if I’m comparing against other marques, have Volvo just designed it right along with the regen?

Swedefarm Jan 14th, 2018 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by luggsey (Post 2357819)
Loads of threads on high milers, and 200k is normal on a Volvo D5.
One on here is 600k plus on original engine with one replacement gearbox.
If it's high miles but well serviced usual problem area is auto box as nobody changes the oil!
Usual bits wear out on suspension and pas pump kit own to let go towards 200k, usual fault of oil not being changed.
Cam belt will fail if the auxiliary belt fails and dislodges the timing belt which they often do if not changed.
Again loads of threads on all known issues, and the lots of bedtime reading!

On a side note my 230k miles D5 just broke down, and first time in two years, I t blew off a intercooler coupling costing nothing to reconnect...
If looked after Volvo D5 engines will run on and on and........

:thumbs_up:

Ok, thank you.

So the usual suspects, and servicing the box myself (sump dump) will be a preventative measure.

Crikey. Makes the 3.0 diesel lump in the BMW sound under engineered, and that’s a damn good unit....

Autoemotion Jan 14th, 2018 23:04

I'm running a d5 xc70 and at 259000 just turned it's still going like a 50k car, done cam belt and aux belt, recon turbo 6 months ago at 154k as it hadn't really been looked after that well by the previous farm owner,
Only mod is 55 profile tyres which I prefer as it suits my driving style better and reduces a bit of that unstable feeling you get with the recommended 65 profiles.
Due a service actually.
But still it loves being driven.

Autoemotion Jan 14th, 2018 23:09

In fact my wife drives 04 model exact same car, 197870 miles on the clock, just replaced geartronic gear box due to lack of actual stealer service at every interval.
I see the charge for auto box oil as recent as 4 months ago but the oil was as black as coal
No wonder they fail, incidentally this special atf is cheapest at dealers for about £6plus the dreaded.
Cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

MG68 Jan 15th, 2018 18:50

Yes the v70 600k+ is mine - in fact it's just gone over 630k, and it has indeed the original engine. The original geartronic was replaced at 400k, and with what 230k miles on the replacement it is still sweet as a nut, smooth changes etc.

It has never towed anything. And it has been serviced 49 times, it's on its 3rd service book, ever so regularly.

I think the service history of the car is a big clue to how reliable it might be in the future.

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you end up with!

Cheers, Mark

Tannaton Jan 15th, 2018 20:35

AWD systems are usually reliable but check for the "splined sleeve" issue of you are looking at a 163 BHP AWD car.