Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Shaking (Badly on acceleration) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297436)

v50t5sesport Aug 9th, 2019 13:52

Shaking (Badly on acceleration)

I have a v50 t5 manual, which has started shaking violently when accelerating over 40 mph - similar to a badly out of balance wheel, but the more you accelerate, the more it shakes, but if you ease off, it clears fully. Quick seach on the internet shows this as a fairly common problem and most likely to be the driveshafts, has anyone else had this problem ?, and where can you get replacement driveshafts if needed ? - as they the same as the D5, or the 2.4 ?

bugsb Aug 9th, 2019 14:05

myself and others on many forums over the years have used j&r driveshafts so far they have been ok , this listing shows an idea of price its not as far as i know for your car but if you send them your reg they will let you know which ones fit , delivery time has been next day longest 2 days
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60...EAAOSwyGZaPA09

T5R92011 Aug 9th, 2019 15:10

I will advise against using J&R driveshafts, as there are many tales of their driveshafts being utter rubbish. A lot of Focus ST owners have had real problems with J&R shafts.

The volvo driveshafts are extremely expensive however.

Isn't always driveshafts that can cause this.... Lower gearbox torque mount can cause vibration. Driveshafts will be the most expensive thing that can cause it if you buy OEM ones (recommended).

v50t5sesport Aug 9th, 2019 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2543341)
I will advise against using J&R driveshafts, as there are many tales of their driveshafts being utter rubbish. A lot of Focus ST owners have had real problems with J&R shafts.

The volvo driveshafts are extremely expensive however.

Isn't always driveshafts that can cause this.... Lower gearbox torque mount can cause vibration. Driveshafts will be the most expensive thing that can cause it if you buy OEM ones (recommended).

I saw the google reviews on them as well, so undecided. I had the local garage check it over. who could not find anything wrong, however a couple of months ago the garage found a split cv boot on the o/s when changing a wheel bearing

v50t5sesport Aug 9th, 2019 21:57

Its not just a bit of vibration, the car shakes quite violently

philrocks Aug 10th, 2019 12:44

I had slight vibrations at higher speeds for a while, like 50+, then one morning, drove the car got to 30mph and it was vibrating quite violently, and got worse the faster I went.
This was my O/S drive shaft, with the car jacked, looking under the car at the driveshaft, as I rotated the wheel, I could see the drive shaft move up and down at a certain point in the rotation.

I got a certified used Volvo one, was about £300 incl fitting.

v50t5sesport Aug 10th, 2019 17:40

Decision made, I have sourced a pair of Driveshafts from my local breakers evolv in Preston

v50t5sesport Aug 17th, 2019 21:37

New driveshafts installed (I purchased both), and no more shaking, however, when you look at the old driveshafts, they look ok, and don't have any play in the joints !

emy Aug 18th, 2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by v50t5sesport (Post 2545681)
New driveshafts installed (I purchased both), and no more shaking, however, when you look at the old driveshafts, they look ok, and don't have any play in the joints !

Do you know what brand are the drive shafts you just installed? I also have some vibration over 110km/h and when turning, mostly right. I ve changed the wishbone which was very bad, top left engine mount, the old one looked ok, the only options I still have, the gearbox engine mount and the right driveshaft.
I noticed good reviews of the SKF driveshafts, driveshaft I am thinking to get.

v50t5sesport Aug 18th, 2019 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by emy (Post 2545800)
Do you know what brand are the drive shafts you just installed? I also have some vibration over 110km/h and when turning, mostly right. I ve changed the wishbone which was very bad, top left engine mount, the old one looked ok, the only options I still have, the gearbox engine mount and the right driveshaft.
I noticed good reviews of the SKF driveshafts, driveshaft I am thinking to get.

I purchased some genuine used Volvo ones from a reputable Volvo breakers, as I didn't fancy the aftermarket ones, and the genuine ones are very expensive. You couldn't ignore it, not just a bit of vibration, like the wheel was going to fall off over 40 and accelerating