Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   V8 exhaust replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280374)

migmog Apr 8th, 2018 09:59

V8 exhaust replacement

Hi guys
My car's exhaust is on the way out. Does anyone know if there are stainless steel replacements for the V8 available in the UK? I've not priced up a part from the dealer yet but I'm expecting it to be expensive..

4x4 Apr 8th, 2018 10:47

Give these guys a call, their work is awesome. Been using them for over 15 years now and the attention to detail never fails to amaze me

Tannaton Apr 8th, 2018 23:25

I was just about to say given Volvo part prices it is likely to be cheaper to get a custom one built....

aland Apr 9th, 2018 09:45

Volvo parts prices are unpredictable.
Sometimes they are astronomical, yet sometimes they are surprisingly reasonable.
I've bought clutches and flywheels from them in the past and they have been cheaper than GSF etc.
Suggest you try Chris at Caffyns Volvo for a price at least:
chris.gander@caffyns.co.uk

migmog Apr 16th, 2018 16:25

I got a quote from Chris Gander - £4121 inc VAT, but that includes 3(!) catalytic converters at a grand apiece. Looks like just the two silencers and bits & bobs will be nearer £680.

I also got a quote from Cambell at C+C, £860 all-in including fitting.

Will ponder some more, but I'll probably go for the SS system, even though that means taking time off work to get the beast through to Glasgow.

Thanks for the recommendations!

aland Apr 16th, 2018 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by migmog (Post 2393449)
I got a quote from Chris Gander - £4121 inc VAT, but that includes 3(!) catalytic converters at a grand apiece. Looks like just the two silencers and bits & bobs will be nearer £680.

Gulp!
CATs are crazy expensive for quality genuine parts.
I've had a cheapo pattern CAT fail the MOT emissions test on a Toyota at a year old - and of course the company that supplied it had vanished so no choice but to chance another - or pay 3x as much for the genuine article!!

If you can get away without replacing the catalytic converters then it keeps the price down.
Personally i'd go with the Volvo parts - just because it'll fit perfectly and not change the noise or performance characteristics of the car... but maybe i'm just boring like that!

migmog Apr 16th, 2018 17:22

I was on holiday with the family in Wales last week, and the exhaust split on the drive down. I took the car to a local mechanic and said the cats were OK - I'm banking on him being right! 7 hour drive home was rather noisy..!
This was after I'd asked Chris for a quote.

I hear you re original parts, but C+C exhausts do come highly recommended and not just from here. Still thinking about it....

TruckbusUK Apr 16th, 2018 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by migmog (Post 2393449)

I also got a quote from Cambell at C+C, £860 all-in including fitting.

Will ponder some more, but I'll probably go for the SS system, even though that means taking time off work to get the beast through to Glasgow.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Try FRF in Swansea, dont forget to quote the C3 forums discount when you phone. Details on the forums discount page.

As already said get the cats checked, you may not need to replace them.

Hope it helps:natur008:

4x4 Apr 16th, 2018 18:57

If the cats that are fitted to your car are stainless steel and in good order Campbell will be able to work around them saving you a few shillings.

EDIT... If you decide to go with C&C speak to Campbell regarding how loud/quiet you want as he’s a master of tuning the sound to the customers requirements

migmog May 4th, 2018 14:35

Once again, thanks for the recommendation for C&C.
They did an excellent job at a decent price, and great customer service too.
Highly recommended.