Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Touring (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283942)

psl Jul 10th, 2018 22:51

Touring

The time has come to take the land barge on our annual pilgrimage to visit the sister in law, a round trip of 650 miles plus pottering about on the Cornish coast. Looking forward to getting behind the wheel again after its last outing at the national rally.
Anyone else getting away with theirs over the holidays?

57RKL Jul 11th, 2018 10:40

West Wales

Hiya, Will be towing our caravan down to South West Wales with the family for a week at the start of the school holidays and the same trip again at the end of the hols. Probably about 1500 miles in total and with work duties, the 940 is doing about 6000 miles a year.

Delta66 Jul 12th, 2018 20:15

Unlikely this year, but it was used for a holiday to St Andrews last year to meet up with family friends and another camping trip to Alford.

It is great to be able to rely on such an old car and the space and comfort makes long trips a joy, not a chore.

Forrest Jul 12th, 2018 21:20

Will be taking my 36k mile Celebration estate cross country from Gloucestershire to East Anglia to visit family August bank holiday weekend. It always takes the journey in its stride very well.

Prufrock Jul 13th, 2018 07:52

Taking mine to a show this weekend, and visiting friends in the Tamar Valley and my Sister in the far west next month.

Jon.

AllHailKingVolvo Jul 13th, 2018 18:10

I’ve just done a basic service (oil, filters, plugs etc) on my new-to-me 740 saloon, picked it up from Basildon yesterday and drove it 200 miles back to home in West Dorset without missing a beat.

Tomorrow the proper road test begins...off to Carlisle and back, 700 miles. In at the deep end somewhat, but I’m confident...ish!

Prufrock Jul 13th, 2018 18:29

Enjoy the drive, not sure about West Dorset to Carlisle though.

My drive will be Lincolnshire, Sussex coast, Weymouth, Tamar Valley then deep into Cornwall - 32+ yrs old 744 !

Jon.

N.B bet I don't see another 740.

AllHailKingVolvo Jul 13th, 2018 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2424925)
Enjoy the drive, not sure about West Dorset to Carlisle though.

My drive will be Lincolnshire, Sussex coast, Weymouth, Tamar Valley then deep into Cornwall - 32+ yrs old 744 !

Jon.

N.B bet I don't see another 740.

You’ll be passing through the outskirts of my old hometown of Bridport on your travels, it sounds like a lovely drive you have in store.

My 6hr hack up to Carlisle is for work, I normally do long hauls in my old Merc C220CDI as it turns in 55mpg for motorway running, but as of yesterday it has pad warning lights up and a nasty judder under hard braking, so whilst that awaits front pads and discs, the 740 gets the job!

In all honesty, I’m still very much in the honeymoon period with the car having picked it up yesterday, so whereas 6hrs in the merc would have been a slog, 6hrs in the 740 sounds like a nice day out!

Prufrock Jul 13th, 2018 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2425001)
You’ll be passing through the outskirts of my old hometown of Bridport on your travels, it sounds like a lovely drive you have in store.

I will, then onto Honiton...good luck with your drive.

J.

jonnyf90 Jul 18th, 2018 09:22

1 Attachment(s)
Took our recently-bought 965 Manual to La Rochelle last month.
We travelled down the night of the Le Mans 24h so had to detour somewhat on the way there - but on the way back drove up the Mulsanne straight (albeit in the wrong direction) - which was phenomenal!

South London - Reigate - Chunnel - Rouen - Caen - Rennes - Nantes - La Roche-sur-Yon - La Rochelle.

Various driving locally which is great fun on the French "D" roads especially with "La priorité à droite"!!

La Rochelle - Tours - Le Mans - Rouen - Boulogne-sur-Mer - Chunnel - South London.

Only spent about £25 on péage (tolls), completed 1200 miles and averaged 30mpg - can't argue with that! :) (Although couldn't live with French petrol prices - €1.65 for 95 UL (that isn't sodding E10 rubbish!) OFF the autoroutes - about €1.79 otherwise!)

Cheers