Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 - steering column noise/grinding (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201837)

mikey81 Mar 23rd, 2014 22:20

XC90 - steering column noise/grinding

Hi,

I would really appreciate some help with the problem I've got with my 2006 XC90.

I have noticed that there is a grinding with a bit of squeaking noise coming from the steering column while turning left or right at low speed or while stationary. It is mainly present when turning the steering wheel slowly either left or right. The steering wheel feels like it is rubbing against something.

I took the car to the Volvo in Chiswick who said that they inspected the steering column and wheel bearings and said there was no sign of wear and tear. They said they have lubricated the steering column however I cannot verify how thorough job they did. They also said that next step would be to spend £930 to replace steering column.

I have taken off the rubber bit that covers the hole where the steering column goes through the firewall. I have sprayed WD40 onto the u-joint which I think solved the problem for about 5 days, then when the problem returned I applied grease onto the u joint and lastly sprayed 3-in-1 lithium grease extensively on the joint. I have also lubricated the plastic bit where the rubber meets the steering column.

I have now noticed that the rubbing/groaning/squeaking is only present when the car is cold. After few minutes of driving, when the car warms up the problem seems to go away. I am now wondering whether this is due to the grease becoming more liquid after warming up? Could this be the case?

I am now beginning to think there might be something wrong with the power steering. Fluid levels are fine.

I would really appreciate any opinions on this one.

Thanks,
Mike

mikey81 Mar 25th, 2014 22:45

Anyone??

Can someone recommend any indy Volvo garages in West London area?

Uselesshippy Mar 28th, 2014 19:40

Hi,
Had something similar myself, did a bit of digging and found out there,s a plastic bush round the steering column that gets dust and crap in over time. Take it out clean it, then put some silicone grease on it then reinstall sound should go then. Not a big job and really cheap.

mikey81 Mar 30th, 2014 12:03

Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have sprayed crazy amount of silicone grease onto both the u-joint as well as the plastic ring/rubber cover that covers the firewall opening. None of this helped unfortunately.

Today I have noticed that there is a tiny leak from the power steering hose. It isnt big or anything but I was wondering if this could be causing the problem?

Anyone could shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Mike

A lex Mar 30th, 2014 14:04

WD-40 is a water dispersant, not a lubricant.

Try lubricating again with silicone or lithium grease.

mikey81 Mar 30th, 2014 22:44

i have used white lithium grease which didnt make any difference.

i actually think that all squeaking/ grinding is caused by tiny leak on the power steering hose. maybe air gets somewhere which causes these problems.

BigAl5 Mar 7th, 2016 23:47

Mikey did you ever find the source of the problem?

bobdabuilda Mar 20th, 2017 20:42

Any update on this Mikey?

BestGear Mar 22nd, 2017 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uselesshippy (Post 1613582)
Hi,
Had something similar myself, did a bit of digging and found out there,s a plastic bush round the steering column that gets dust and crap in over time. Take it out clean it, then put some silicone grease on it then reinstall sound should go then. Not a big job and really cheap.

Could you provide any pictures or more details on this job?

Kardo Jul 20th, 2018 19:32

steering column squeaking

my 2005 executive steering column make squeaking noise and becomes stiff while doing parking maneuvers(mix of reversing and moving forward).
can anyone shed some light on this issue ?