Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: Removing rear axle race (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298739)

morsing Sep 20th, 2019 10:11

Removing rear axle race

Hi,

I've removed my half-shaft for bearing re-greasing, and half got new inner seals as well. On one side, I quite easily got the race out, but on the other it is stuck.

Is there a trick for getting this out?

Thanks

Clan Sep 20th, 2019 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2555406)
Hi,

I've removed my half-shaft for bearing re-greasing, and half got new inner seals as well. On one side, I quite easily got the race out, but on the other it is stuck.

Is there a trick for getting this out?

Thanks

you mean the taper half of the bearing which sits in the axle casing ? That is a loose fit , if you tilt it when pulling it out by hand it will jam . It is certainly not a press fit ...

morsing Sep 20th, 2019 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2555409)
you mean the taper half of the bearing which sits in the axle casing ? That is a loose fit , if you tilt it when pulling it out by hand it will jam . It is certainly not a press fit ...

But it is most certainly stuck :-)

I've tried using a seal remover and it's not budging, think I'll just grease the bearing up and put the axle back in.

THanks

Clan Sep 20th, 2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2555412)
But it is most certainly stuck :-)

I've tried using a seal remover and it's not budging, think I'll just grease the bearing up and put the axle back in.

THanks

maybe the axle casing as corroded a bit around the bearing , Yes good idea , no need to get it out really:angel_smile:

morsing Sep 20th, 2019 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2555415)
maybe the axle casing as corroded a bit around the bearing , Yes good idea , no need to get it out really:angel_smile:

You say that, but the seal has done 380.000 miles and the whole thing was a bit too oily for my liking.

Clan Sep 20th, 2019 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2555418)
You say that, but the seal has done 380.000 miles and the whole thing was a bit too oily for my liking.

I cant remember , can you change the inner seal without taking the cone bearing shell out? I wouldn't worry as long as the outer seal is dry , they did not use an inner seal at all on the older models .

morsing Sep 20th, 2019 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2555420)
I cant remember , can you change the inner seal without taking the cone bearing shell out? I wouldn't worry as long as the outer seal is dry , they did not use an inner seal at all on the older models .

No, the race holds the inner seal in.

Are you sure about that? The diff is open in to the axle carrier, it's full of oil which washes the grease away if it gets to the bearing.

Clan Sep 20th, 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by morsing (Post 2555426)
No, the race holds the inner seal in.

Are you sure about that? The diff is open in to the axle carrier, it's full of oil which washes the grease away if it gets to the bearing.

yes positive i started working on them in 1971, They were 140's then of course which evolved into the 240 with a hybrid in between ! They used the axle oil to lubricate the outer bearing at first , But the outer seal always had a slight oil mist around it , somebody came up with a bright suggestion to fit an inner seal and use grease instead as there was a smooth retaining ring already there for it to seal against .

classicswede Sep 20th, 2019 18:28

The seal is only on late axles. PV Amazon 140 and all the early 240's only had a outer seal and the bearings were fed with the diff oil.

Actually thinking about it is only the later axles that I have really had diff issues with. Making me think if they is any connection to the change is seals.

classicswede Sep 20th, 2019 18:31

Oh and the bearing race has always been tight for me. Most often I have had put a run of weld on it to shrink it allowing it to free off.