Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 Radio ICM Module (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301985)

SkipjackUK Dec 31st, 2019 17:48

XC90 Radio ICM Module

Question 1 - are they all the same and can be swapped out?

Mine finally failed after 15 years of rock-solid performance :( Thankfully I had a spare ICM that I bought on eBay many years back so I thought I would try it and give it a swap. Sadly it also looks DOA. I'm guessing its an ICM repair service now, is the volvodiagnostic.com the best route.

Question 2 - Minidisc Install
Now that I know how simple it is to get the console out and unplug I would still really like to go retro and install a minidisc unit. I posted a question ages back and SwissXC90 mentioned its an easy hard swap but would require a software update. So is there a simple solution for this?

Question 3 - CD Player Fault
For the last 5 years buttons 2 and 4 on the CD player haven't worked, would this be fixed via an ICM repair or it the CD module that's at fault

as always, many thanks

john langrick Dec 31st, 2019 19:01

Hi
My experience is that Volvo diagnostics is certainly the best route. Mine was sorted 100%.

Re the mini disc, Swiss probably knows best, but point two and three, you could speak to lucasz at Volvo diagnostics but probably on item 3, the switch buttons are faulty, do they work selecting channels on the radio?

Cheers John l

SkipjackUK Dec 31st, 2019 21:58

thanks, no the buttons don't work on the radio either.

john langrick Dec 31st, 2019 23:18

Hi, usually lucasz changes the whole unit so will correct 1 & 3 as a matter of course, but maybe not the mini disk. Mine has never worked, but so what.. this (I believe, like the cd multiplayer, are discrete units).

So my view is Volvo diagnostics best bet and happy new year!

I am sure you will not be disappointed but please report back.

John l

SwissXC90 Jan 1st, 2020 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkipjackUK (Post 2585089)
thanks, no the buttons don't work on the radio either.

Then the buttons are faulty

SkipjackUK Jan 2nd, 2020 20:23

3 Attachment(s)
First drive today since I swapped it out and after 15 minutes it's springs to life again. This was has updated software on it compared to my 2003 model.

SkipjackUK Jan 4th, 2020 17:05

it still working :) however, I've noticed this version of ICM doesn't illuminate the buttons :(

is it a cable connection on the ICM board ribbon connector (it was disconnected on this replacement and was a bid fiddly to reseat, so I might not have it perfect) or is there a separate bulb for it.

the replacement was part I bought on eBay years back and may have been sold as faulty, really can't recall but I got it for £15 so happy with it for that price :)

SkipjackUK Jan 5th, 2020 11:03

went out today and it didn't come on at all :(

john langrick Jan 5th, 2020 14:03

Sounds intermittent, mine was just like that. I assume you changed the complete fascia too, do the button switches now work (when ICM is working)?

I guess Volvo diagnostics next route, but you could check the MOST bus. This s fibre optic connection that interfaces (if you have them) sat nav, phone, park sensors, sub woofer and amp etc. If there is a break in the fibre optic loop, it will show similar symptoms. The loop looks like two thick orange wires and should never be kinked.

However, I know from experience the ICM is subject a lot of heat and to dry joints That is where Volvo diagnostics come in. Note they give lifetime warranty with their repair... This is why I recommend this route. Hopefully you can then just forget about it.

John l

john langrick Jan 5th, 2020 14:04

Sounds intermittent, mine was just like that. I assume you changed the complete fascia too, do the button switches now work (when ICM is working)?

I guess Volvo diagnostics next route, but you could check the MOST bus. This s fibre optic connection that interfaces (if you have them) sat nav, phone, park sensors, sub woofer and amp etc. If there is a break in the fibre optic loop, it will show similar symptoms. The loop looks like two thick orange wires and should never be kinked.

However, I know from experience the ICM is subject a log of heat and to dry joints That is where Volvo diagnostics come in. Note they give lifetime warranty with their repair... This is why I and others recommend this route. Hopefully you can then just forget about it.

John l