Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Cold feet (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300343)

JC888 Nov 7th, 2019 20:06

Cold feet

Noticed that the climate control doesn't seem to heat the footwell area well, or at all.

I've set fan speed to max and left on AUTO mode. However never really notice any hot air blowing in the footwell area.

WhatNext? Nov 7th, 2019 22:07

Odd that you mention that.

I was fiddling with my PMPro switch (for DashCam) this evening before driving home from work and noticed how much warm arm is shunted around the foot (AutoClimate with max fan at 2/Temp set @ 21 degrees in sync)

XC60 (but I believe should be same for all SPA cars)

Whaty Nov 8th, 2019 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC888 (Post 2569808)
Noticed that the climate control doesn't seem to heat the footwell area well, or at all.

Same here. In fact, the interior doesn't seem to heat up that well full stop. Previously I've always set the temp around 22 degrees, but if I do this in the Volvo it is positively cold. Unless it's a very warm day (and we don't get that many of them) I find my temp set to 24 degrees, for shame I can't bring myself to set it any higher but the car certainly doesn't get hot.

When set at 24 degrees the cabin eventually becomes 'pleasant', but my feet are often cold. I've never noticed any of the vents blowing harder than the others, the air flow seems to be distributed quite evenly (unless on max defrost of course).

I have played with the settings but always settle back to the default, ie: fan speed 3, Auto, etc..

I've read numerous threads on here with people stating they've got their temp set to 21 - 22 degrees but I can't do that, especially at the moment with the colder temperatures, and I've taken to wearing a jacket.!

ripstandem Nov 8th, 2019 11:08

Same here

I'm with you guys same problem with interior heat, also mine is petrol model so should warm more quickly.
I've set temp and fan to max and stored settings to key, as journey progresses I turn heat and fan speed down to comfort level. Does seem a bit "cart and horse".
If anyone knows better method all advice gratefully accepted.

Lexman8 Nov 8th, 2019 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC888 (Post 2569808)

My XC90 has always been like this when on Auto climate and sometimes I have to ramp up the temperature setting to get hot air from the vents. This may be a consequence of the climate system using 'feels-like' temperatures when adjusting the settings.

All my previous cars have favoured footwell heating (unless screen defrost was selected) for the very good reason that when your head is warmer than your lower body you are more likely to feel drowsy or get a headache. It's strange that Volvo don't seem to follow this scheme.

KNVXC90 Nov 8th, 2019 12:40

In my XC90 I don't feel any lack of heat in the foot well area, but quite the opposite. That is, in summers, I feel not enough cold air is blowing in the foot well in auto mode, and my feet get sweaty. Then I manually divert the airflow to all areas (feet, body, head) and that sorts the issue.

JC888 Nov 9th, 2019 18:40

Glad to know it's not just my imagination then :)

Currently I'm on Auto mode with fan set to 5 with the hope of getting more air in the foot well but no joy. The window defrosting is a bit loud and at the moment unnecessary since I've got heated windscreen so I might set the fan speed back to 3.

I have no complaints about the actual heating, I don't like it too hot and 21.5 degrees is spot on for me. I have steering and set heating set to come on automatically which helps a treat on those colder days.

It's a minor niggle but on colder days my feet gets a bit chilly compared to the rest of my body.

I might have a closer look at the footwell tomorrow to see if there are vents.

Quacker Nov 11th, 2019 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC888 (Post 2570426)
Glad to know it's not just my imagination then :)

Currently I'm on Auto mode with fan set to 5 with the hope of getting more air in the foot well but no joy. The window defrosting is a bit loud and at the moment unnecessary since I've got heated windscreen so I might set the fan speed back to 3.

I have no complaints about the actual heating, I don't like it too hot and 21.5 degrees is spot on for me. I have steering and set heating set to come on automatically which helps a treat on those colder days.

It's a minor niggle but on colder days my feet gets a bit chilly compared to the rest of my body.

I might have a closer look at the footwell tomorrow to see if there are vents.

Goodness me! Why don’t you simply direct the air more equitably on the Sensus screen so that more air comes out at your feet? You could lock this into your profile and key. Of course there are vents down there. :laughing-smiley-018

Bashy Nov 11th, 2019 03:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2569998)
This may be a consequence of the climate system using 'feels-like' temperatures when adjusting the settings.

Where does this idea come from?
Is there a humidity sensor in your car? of which is probable but an anemometer on the roof, improbable ;)

Lexman8 Nov 11th, 2019 10:09

The climate system uses interior humidity and (especially) sunlight strength as inputs.