Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   S40: Remote Key Fob Reprogramming (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127143)

JamesM81 Jun 15th, 2011 12:09

Remote Key Fob Reprogramming

I recently bought a March 2001 S40 T4 that didn't come with any remote key fobs. I just assumed that it would have these and didn't realise until I had paid for the car. I was hoping to buy a couple of used fobs and get these reprogrammed but have been told by several auto locksmiths that only Volvo dealers can do this and was then told by a Volvo dealer that they can't guarantee that reprogramming used ones will work and that the best thing to do is to get new ones from them and for them to program them which will work out at around £208 plus VAT for the pair. Is this right? Or should I be able to buy used ones and take them to a Volvo dealer and get them reprogrammed for my car? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

sjfedex Jun 15th, 2011 15:43

Had the same problem with my S40 2003...only came with 1 key fob..so had to buy new fob and had a key-blade cut,then programmed at Volvo...to use as a back-up... It seems that once a key fob has been programmed once with the software to a car..it cannot be reprogrammed again..Not 100% sure..if someone can comfirm this is the case....I got my new fob and keyblade from FRF Swansea..Rufe is the guy to contact..cost about £100,then programmed locally at Volvo dealer..only takes 30mins..
rgds

gatos Jun 15th, 2011 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjfedex (Post 927868)
Had the same problem with my S40 2003...only came with 1 key fob..so had to buy new fob and had a key-blade cut,then programmed at Volvo...to use as a back-up... It seems that once a key fob has been programmed once with the software to a car..it cannot be reprogrammed again..Not 100% sure..if someone can comfirm this is the case....I got my new fob and keyblade from FRF Swansea..Rufe is the guy to contact..cost about £100,then programmed locally at Volvo dealer..only takes 30mins..
rgds

Or an even easier and cheaper way. Find a sale for two fobs and the receiver unit from a car that is being broken and replace them in your car. It works a treat and at a fraction of the cost

swithers Jun 15th, 2011 20:59

Hi.. On this yr of car the fob can be reprogramed by a volvo dealer . Had one done on mine .. (i work in a volvo dealer) :thumbs_up:They need to down load new software. Hope this helps ...

JamesM81 Jun 15th, 2011 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by swithers (Post 928097)
Hi.. On this yr of car the fob can be reprogramed by a volvo dealer . Had one done on mine .. (i work in a volvo dealer) :thumbs_up:They need to down load new software. Hope this helps ...

That's really handy to know. Would the particular person doing the programming need to know anything particular (that most might not know) to be able to reprogram rather than just program? Only asking as I'd need to be 100% sure that it'd work as they said I'd still need to pay for the software download and labour even if it didn't work

swithers Jun 16th, 2011 10:02

Hi, Just needs to be a volvo dealer as they have to order soft ware to recode the remote..

JamesM81 Jun 16th, 2011 14:24

Ok thanks, that's really helpful :-)

rio Jan 26th, 2015 02:51

Hi every one i got this info from my friends in Europe my be it help to all you

Make sure all doors are closed, as well as the hood. Make sure the tailgate or trunk is locked. Get into the car and lock all doors.

Insert the key and turn it from the insertion position (position I) to the "on" position (position II - not the "start" position) five times. In other words, all the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn’t start. When you turn the key to ON the fifth time, leave it there. You have 10 seconds to perform this whole step.

Hold down each remote button for a second or two, so the car identifies those buttons as the ones to respond to. If you want multiple remotes to work for that car, you’ll need to hit the buttons on each of them in rapid succession (all within 5 seconds) as well. You can program up to three remotes per car.

Get new batteries if the above doesn’t work, and try it again. If you already have new batteries in the remote, then proceed to the next step.

Press and hold down the odometer reset button.

Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Release the odometer button while the service reminder light (SRL) flashes. Don’t wait until the flashing stops to release the odometer button. If you did that, you waited too long.

Turn the ignition off.

happy diver Jan 26th, 2015 09:58

Best post ever!

CopthorneMike Jan 26th, 2015 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rio (Post 1835311)
Hi every one i got this info from my friends in Europe my be it help to all you

Make sure all doors are closed, as well as the hood. Make sure the tailgate or trunk is locked. Get into the car and lock all doors.

Insert the key and turn it from the insertion position (position I) to the "on" position (position II - not the "start" position) five times. In other words, all the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn’t start. When you turn the key to ON the fifth time, leave it there. You have 10 seconds to perform this whole step.

Hold down each remote button for a second or two, so the car identifies those buttons as the ones to respond to. If you want multiple remotes to work for that car, you’ll need to hit the buttons on each of them in rapid succession (all within 5 seconds) as well. You can program up to three remotes per car.

Get new batteries if the above doesn’t work, and try it again. If you already have new batteries in the remote, then proceed to the next step.

Press and hold down the odometer reset button.

Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Release the odometer button while the service reminder light (SRL) flashes. Don’t wait until the flashing stops to release the odometer button. If you did that, you waited too long.

Turn the ignition off.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually tried this procedure with an UK S40 / V40 and if it worked or not. I am sure there are quite a few of us with only one remote at the moment but who do not want to pay out £100s to the local Volvo franchise.