Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Another boring dpf issue....yawn (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302713)

Tomk1256 Jan 21st, 2020 21:20

Another boring dpf issue....yawn

Hi all, ill try not to blab on too much but the back story is long winded, please forgive me. The car is a 2006 v50 sport 2.0d on 109000 miles Owned since last may at 99000miles. The car started going into limp mode a couple of months after buying it. Having the glow plugs, coolant tank (was cracked) and having a forced re-gen didnt do the job so ended up having a new genuine dpf and pressure sensor fitted. All was merry until this morning when guess what..... limp home mode again. The car is used mostly for my 20 mile commute on a 50mph single carriageway road so i thought it would meet the requirments for the dpf to kick in.

Anyway just a couple of questions in regard to it.

Is keeping it in 5th gear 1800rpm on my commute contributing to dpf not kicking in maybe?? I do drive like a bit of a grandad but i do give it some stick now and again😀 not a fan of the sound of revving diesel

The engine oil is just over 10,000 miles old could this be contrubuting??

How do i know when buying new oil if it is low ash?? I do intend on doing an annual service soon i promise 😀

I bought the car thinking it didnt have a dpf because the tailpipe was black and sooty, could a potential carbon build up in the engine be causing the issue to re-occur??

I appreciate i may be repeating stuff from other dpf related posts (i read quite a few when the problem first happen) so apoligies if you're bored but any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

M4ss4 Jan 21st, 2020 22:51

https://youtu.be/18IR-SQC3nE

This chap mentions giving it a good drive in 3rd when talking about looking after a dpf.

Excuse the blatant Gas Monkey Garage style content from West Yorkshire engine services 😂

Tomk1256 Jan 22nd, 2020 11:10

Its a good video. His attutude making it all the better. Ill give a 3rd motorway run a go. Maybe i just havnt been giving it enough stick (any excuse for a thrashing) 😀

Tomk1256 Jan 23rd, 2020 10:43

I drove home last night in 3rd gear pretty much constantly at 3000rpm ish for about half an hour. Although it wasnt a non stop motorway run it may have done the trick 🤞🤞🤞 because it didnt go into limp mode this morning. Thanks for posting the video m4ss4. It definitely gave a better insight than most of my mates who have said 'just give it a thrash up the motorway' lol 😀 anyway 🤞🤞🤞

JRL Jan 23rd, 2020 12:08

Change the oil as soon as possible for the recommended low ash oil for your engine. Details will be in your handbook.

T5R92011 Jan 23rd, 2020 15:19

Should sell and buy the 2.0-litre petrol before limp home comes back.

benk103 Jan 24th, 2020 08:36

I've had my D2 just over a year and thankfully (touch wood) haven't had any DPF issues.

I watched the video and he seemed to say to do this 3rd gear trick and it'll help with MPG. I'm averaging about 48-51mpg, with regular 60 mile ish motorway trips every week or so.

Would it actually help boost my MPG once done?

Tomk1256 Jan 24th, 2020 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R92011 (Post 2592297)
Should sell and buy the 2.0-litre petrol before limp home comes back.

Haha. Brill advice 😀😀😀

Tomk1256 Jan 24th, 2020 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL (Post 2592241)
Change the oil as soon as possible for the recommended low ash oil for your engine. Details will be in your handbook.

Will be doing so as soon as time allows thanks

Tomk1256 Jan 24th, 2020 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by benk103 (Post 2592479)
I've had my D2 just over a year and thankfully (touch wood) haven't had any DPF issues.

I watched the video and he seemed to say to do this 3rd gear trick and it'll help with MPG. I'm averaging about 48-51mpg, with regular 60 mile ish motorway trips every week or so.

Would it actually help boost my MPG once done?

I read somewhere (probably another dpf post on here) that d2s 3s 4s and 5s (ie actual volvo lumps) aren't so prone to dpf issues as they dont use additive with the dpf but id reccomend doing the third gear run anyway just to experiment. I dont have a trip computer but worked out from fuel recent and logging miles that i got 42mpg s yours being a later engine seems ok i guess. Life's too short to worry about mpg too much (says the diesel driver) 😀