Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 Brakes 300mm to 320mm (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284434)

domhart10 Jul 23rd, 2018 13:24

S40 Brakes 300mm to 320mm

Hey guys so as title is, I have 320 brake setup sitting in a shed waiting to go on. Just wanted to know if there is anything else worth changing while I upgrade these as well. I have braided brake lines with these but while changing these over are there any other parts worth checking / changing as well?

If anyone else wants my current callipers just let me know, also the 300mm discs / pads have been on for couple months now and still pretty brand new so if anyone wants those feel free to drop me a message as well.

andy_d Jul 23rd, 2018 14:03

handbrake cables,, brake fluid ?
and any of the disk shields that are fubar while your in there ?

LizardOfBodom Jul 23rd, 2018 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2428562)

If anyone else wants my current callipers just let me know, also the 300mm discs / pads have been on for couple months now and still pretty brand new so if anyone wants those feel free to drop me a message as well.

I would paint calipers before doing it but it depends on personal preferences. Hate mine, looking a bit rusty-ish...

Let us know your thoughts after you do the swap!
btw - what discs/pads (320) you got?

domhart10 Jul 23rd, 2018 15:22

Yeh I was thinking of painting the callipers but im still undecided about color really. I do have some light blue calliper paint (Was trying to get the polestar blueish or as close as I can to it so we shall see really)

I have the "EBC GD High Performance Brake Disc (Grooved & Dimpled Vented 320mm Pair)" with some Green stuff pads, so hopefully they should do well.

Thanks Andy, I have recently had a brake fluid change so im guessing that wouldnt need to be done again really? But yes ok will defenitly have a look at getting handbrake and some disk shields as well!

LizardOfBodom Jul 23rd, 2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2428604)
Yeh I was thinking of painting the callipers but im still undecided about color really. I do have some light blue calliper paint (Was trying to get the polestar blueish or as close as I can to it so we shall see really)

I have the "EBC GD High Performance Brake Disc (Grooved & Dimpled Vented 320mm Pair)" with some Green stuff pads, so hopefully they should do well.

Thanks Andy, I have recently had a brake fluid change so im guessing that wouldnt need to be done again really? But yes ok will defenitly have a look at getting handbrake and some disk shields as well!

U are replacing rear ones aswell?
Never heard opinions on EBC discs, I wonder how they perform. Will gladly see pics when on the car and your thoughts (stopping power & noise).

I wanted to paint my calipers once aswell but gave up as more important stuff came up, and now I dont feel like taking them JUST to paint. Ah well.
I was thinking painting them gun metal grey or something - not too "in your face" but nice and wheel matching.

andy_d Jul 23rd, 2018 15:59

As your changing callipers + hoses, your going to need to top up the fluid anyway when you get to bleeding them.

and the backing plates/shields will possibly need changing going from 300 to 320s anyways

the cables are more a "check em before and decide " than a "must" if worn etc its a all in one job saves going and revisiting the thing after bunging new calipers/hoses on

StatusRed Jul 23rd, 2018 17:49

Was gonna say about painting them, even if just for the sake of stopping the rust. Since I painted mine they still look good with no hint of rust.

If you don't decide on a colour you could just paint them grey / metallic with some clear coat over them just to make them look "new" and never gone rusty.

domhart10 Jul 23rd, 2018 18:18

no just replacing the front pair. like the idea of grey callipers, much prefer the subtle colours rather than anything bright.

I had EBC's on before drilled and grooved and thought they were brilliant, for a standard brake setup I could do about 5 - 6 laps on track before the brakes would start fading so im hoping these 320's will last a bit longer.

Thanks Andy_d might as well just get some new backing plates then.

StatusRed Jul 23rd, 2018 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2428682)
LizardOfBodom no just replacing the front pair. like the idea of grey callipers, much prefer the subtle colours rather than anything bright.

I had EBC's on before drilled and grooved and thought they were brilliant, for a standard brake setup I could do about 5 - 6 laps on track before the brakes would start fading so im hoping these 320's will last a bit longer.

Thanks Andy_d might as well just get some new backing plates then.

Grey would look good against your black car too I reckon ;)

andy_d Jul 23rd, 2018 18:35

so ,,no neon yellow/green calipers for you as well then ?