Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 AC : Cabin/Pollen Filter Replacement Help needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284078)

StatusRed Jul 26th, 2018 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petey80 (Post 2429970)
I think a lot time is saved by not taking the glove box out and not removing the CEM bracket holder.

I've heard people drop the CEM then bend the bracket that covers the filter door.

Even though my way takes a little longer, it makes life easier.

I couldn't imagine doing it without removing the glove box. I'll be doing it again soon and now have a flexible head ratchet spanner to save taking the CEM off the bracket.

Okay, so it is possible by just removing that bit of carpet and the underneath of the glove box, but the angles are quite tight?

Petey80 Jul 26th, 2018 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2429971)
Okay, so it is possible by just removing that bit of carpet and the underneath of the glove box, but the angles are quite tight?

Yes, it's possible that way, but it'll be VERY tight and awkward.

StatusRed Jul 26th, 2018 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petey80 (Post 2429973)
Yes, it's possible that way, but it'll be VERY tight and awkward.

Alright.. I might give it a go I'm wary of messing around taking out the CEM etc in case things go wrong..

Petey80 Jul 26th, 2018 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2429991)
Alright.. I might give it a go I'm wary of messing around taking out the CEM etc in case things go wrong..

I was too, but just be careful with it. Make sure all plugs are tight in and no wires/cables are snagged on anything when you pull it down.

andy_d Jul 26th, 2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatusRed (Post 2429991)

disconnect the battery as step 1??
then, If your CEM becomes disconnected or otherwise it wont matter,
and makes disconnecting + moving the cem not a thing to worry about,

some may say that disconnecting the cem , doing the job then reconnecting it could be a "safer" way, as you would Know all the connections were good as you had Just done the reconnecting, others could say "dont mess with it unless you have to"
personal pov , battery off, CEM disconnected, nothing Should FuBaR unless i sit on the CEM,

if you do disconnect the battery, it makes sense to turn the ignition key the first time from outside the car, making sure your not in the path of any airbag deployment if sh*tappens,

do remember to set the clock as the last step tho

StatusRed Jul 26th, 2018 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 2430004)
if you do disconnect the battery, it makes sense to turn the ignition key the first time from outside the car, making sure your not in the path of any airbag deployment if sh*tappens,

Well that's just petrified me lol..

I've disconnected the battery multiple times before so have no issue doing that. I might just make sure I have all the tools on hand to disconnect the CEM in case I need to, but if I manage it without touching it I'd rather do that.

andy_d Jul 26th, 2018 21:06

same here, but its what volvo recommend in the vida how to bits for the battery..

have a Good look first, then decide,
for me, "fiddle with cem - battery disconnected" saves any "eer eek eeep" moments if i catch a connector or lead or,,,

Simmy Jul 26th, 2018 21:44

the pics from vida show lhd and rhd cars quite confuseing if you dont realise this

Sysyphus Jul 27th, 2018 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2430072)
the pics from vida show lhd and rhd cars quite confuseing if you dont realise this

Yep... no need to remove the CEM or the glove box over here, just the accelerator pedal... still a pig of a job unless you're a 3 foot tall contortionist with long skinny fingers and eyes on your knuckles... think it's quicker and easier to dismantle the car and rebuild it around the new filter

andy_d Jul 27th, 2018 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sysyphus (Post 2430134)
Yep... no need to remove the CEM or the glove box over here, just the accelerator pedal... still a pig of a job unless you're a 3 foot tall contortionist with long skinny fingers and eyes on your knuckles... think it's quicker and easier to dismantle the car and rebuild it around the new filter

thats :D your fault for having the steering wheel on the Wrong side of the car:shocked: :tounge_smile: :tounge_smile: :teeth_smile: :rolleyes: