Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Abs rings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323051)

Carlosos Jan 24th, 2022 17:17

Abs rings

Got a intermittent abs error that I haven’t had read and a fault with the abs that it engages intermittently only when going very slowly and coming to a stop (no error when this happens).

Signs seem to point to abs ring so going to change the fronts first and see if that stops the issue. Front drivers side has been done 20k ish miles ago but am going to do both. Looks pretty straight forward but I’ve read a few issues with knocking the splines away from the hub.

Is this a big issue that I’m likely to face or on v70’s do they normally pop out?

2004 petrol 95k miles.

Simmy Jan 24th, 2022 18:02

they usualy come out . on an xc90 it can be a different story

stuart bowes Jan 24th, 2022 18:22

before you start unbolting anything else, remove the centre bolt, get a suitable drift or right sized socket and hit the end of the shaft. if it moves, it moves, if not you're not stuck with the whole thing in bits

mine were both easy when I did it

what I didn't do was pull the whole shaft out from the gearbox and THAT is the bit that has to be done right, so definitely check out some advice on that before you just start pulling the shaft

Carlosos Jan 24th, 2022 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2802386)
they usualy come out . on an xc90 it can be a different story

That’s what I’ve read but some cross talk to v70’s. Fingers crossed.

Carlosos Jan 24th, 2022 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2802391)
before you start unbolting anything else, remove the centre bolt, get a suitable drift or right sized socket and hit the end of the shaft. if it moves, it moves, if not you're not stuck with the whole thing in bits

mine were both easy when I did it

what I didn't do was pull the whole shaft out from the gearbox and THAT is the bit that has to be done right, so definitely check out some advice on that before you just start pulling the shaft

Thanks for that. I have no intention of taking out the shafts so they can stay put.

I see what you mean so jack up remove wheel and make sure it pops or do it on the ground with the wheel attached through the wheel centre cap? I imagine if it won’t come out it’ll be going to a garage.

barrybritcher Jan 24th, 2022 20:13

much easier with the shaft out - on auto you just tug it very hard (once you remove the bearing)

cut the old ring with dremel and prise off.

heat new ring til changes colour.

use thick gloves and grips and fit onto shaft

see SiRobb youtube channel

stuart bowes Jan 25th, 2022 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosos (Post 2802397)
jack up remove wheel and make sure it pops or do it on the ground with the wheel attached through the wheel centre cap

either way is fine as far as I know, I don't believe there is any stress on the bolt or the shaft which is relative to the spring compression or wishbone position etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrybritcher (Post 2802419)
much easier with the shaft out

I would have thought so too

but on mine I was very careful to bungee cord the driveshaft while it was hanging from the 'box while I was working on the hub in the garage (balljoints and replacing shocks/springs) it was my understanding that if you just pull them or let them hang then the CV can come apart at the other end inside the gaiter ?

XC70Bob Jan 25th, 2022 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart bowes (Post 2802473)
it was my understanding that if you just pull them or let them hang then the CV can come apart at the other end inside the gaiter ?

Yes this can happen, it happened to a friend of mine when working on the front drive shafts , it allows one or more of the balls to exit the cage and get between the end of the shaft and the CV housing , when you put drive shaft / suspension back together it causes the drive shaft to lock up.

lucky for my friend he backed out of his garage very slowly and felt the car judder so stopped before doing any damage to the CV joint, but it took 2 of us to get it all back together correctly, not a fun job.

Carlosos Jan 25th, 2022 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC70Bob (Post 2802544)
Yes this can happen, it happened to a friend of mine when working on the front drive shafts , it allows one or more of the balls to exit the cage and get between the end of the shaft and the CV housing , when you put drive shaft / suspension back together it causes the drive shaft to lock up.

lucky for my friend he backed out of his garage very slowly and felt the car judder so stopped before doing any damage to the CV joint, but it took 2 of us to get it all back together correctly, not a fun job.

Yeah I can’t be arsed with any of that for 2 £10 rings! Going to attempt on Saturday. I’ll report back.

stuart bowes Jan 25th, 2022 14:03

Well if you do find you need to pull the shaft out the correct method involves pry bars to lever it out carefully from the diff output, volvo have a 2 pronged fork shaped tool I belive but it can be done with two levers one either side.

Support the car well because you'll be jiggling it around a bit, one video I watched was very cringey the guy nearly died at least twice