Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Nasty surprise in post... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=335035)

100K+ Sep 6th, 2023 11:07

Nasty surprise in post...

Duffus old man here. Got a "road tax" reminder letter today which deffo has taken the shine off the week.
I assumed wrongly, that my V60 T6 because it was a hybrid was lowish on duty, and I never checked up the actual cost.
Its my own fault for not fully checking but £560 was not the figure I was looking for. (£170 +£360 ( cos it cost over 40K)
Please tell me I'm not the only person who's fallen foul of this.....please.....

Cheer
Bob

Wizzpop Sep 6th, 2023 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2912892)
Duffus old man here. Got a "road tax" reminder letter today which deffo has taken the shine off the week.
I assumed wrongly, that my V60 T6 because it was a hybrid was lowish on duty, and I never checked up the actual cost.
Its my own fault for not fully checking but £560 was not the figure I was looking for. (£170 +£360 ( cos it cost over 40K)
Please tell me I'm not the only person who's fallen foul of this.....please.....

Cheer
Bob

Another reason I haven't updated to a new hybrid V60.

Thekilt Sep 6th, 2023 11:43

It is a kick in the sac the extra tax for anything over £40k. When looking around I always set the year limit to 2018 being 5 years after the original sale as it is then not applicable.

V60 probably Sep 6th, 2023 11:44

Quote:

Cheer
Bob

I've just bought one too. Although I was aware of the cost, I had to feign surprise for the wife's benefit when the dealer was taxing it and I had to pay when we picked it up.

pjm84 Sep 6th, 2023 12:20

5 years after the first years VED. So when you come to TAX the vehicle at year 7, then it drops down.

"............This kicks in after the first-year's CO2-based charge, so you'll pay the supplement from years two to six of the car's life"

Lancee Sep 6th, 2023 12:33

A perspective/sense of proportion. £360.00 is less than £1.00 per day. I can't buy much for less than a £1 these days.

Car is £40,000.00 plus ?

Would/should a different model/specification of car be chosen on the basis of saving £1.00 a day ?

piorunz Sep 6th, 2023 12:45

Quote:

Cheer
Bob

Sorry for you have been negatively surprised like this, Bob.
I, however, was told by Volvo dealer that this is the case with new and under 5 years old cars. Paid £560 at dealership when paying for the car and signing agreements.

KungFooBob Sep 6th, 2023 14:13

When I collected my 3 year old approved used S90 D4, the salesman told me it was going to cost £500+ to tax it and disappeared into the back office with my debit card.

I was surprised when he returned and said it only asked for £180.

On investigation the previous owner had spec'ed the car up to £2 short of the £40k.

Not that it helps you :)

100K+ Sep 6th, 2023 14:32

The stupid thing is I watch Martin Lewis, and think I'm pretty financially savey, but this high road tax never crossed my mind. You can only ask about what you know. I assumed Hybrid = low road fund tax.....WRONG! lol
Just have to do 3 more bank switches to recoup my loss! :)

I have to say it is affordable, I'm not going to have to sell it or anything daft, I was just wondering if anyone else had been caught..

Cheers
Bob

techwatcher Sep 6th, 2023 14:58

I knew about the higher road tax when we bought our XC60 but considered it a price worth paying to get the car, and options, that I wanted.

Lot of tales of people specifying cars to be just under £40k list price, and one or two of people thinking the rules applied to a discounted price paid and not the list price...