Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : V50 Authorities (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296991)

Aristotles Lantern Jul 26th, 2019 11:49

V50 Authorities

Hi all, it's recently come to my attention that my 2011 v50 D3 is actually an ex unmarked police car...

I've also noticed on the log book it says "VOLVO V50 2.0 D3 AUTHORITIES" which because I didn't notice; isn't what is declared on my insurance documentation. When I insured it I just gave them the reg number and they confirmed it was a Volvo v50...

Should I let them know? Do any of you have the AUTHORITIES editions? It's not even in the list on the insurer's website

I know it's got bigger brakes than spec (with wear sensors - which is how my mechanic found out it's an ex police car - the computer was going mental saying it'd run out of brake fluid, which it hadn't but the wear sensors are jerry-rigged into the fluid warning system). It's got all the blues in the grill but they've obviously been disconnected. Do you guys know any other differences between this car and stock? it goes pretty quick but I assume it's the original engine maybe with a bit of tuning?

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Jul 29th, 2019 20:50

Hi,
Yes I certainly would recommend advising your insurer of this. Hopefully it won't make any difference.
Regards,
Dan.

Welton Jul 30th, 2019 08:15

As far as I know from what I've seen on here; Police models seem to include uprated alternators, bigger brakes and I think beefed-up road springs for the equipment normally carried in the boot.

The jury's out on whether the engines are 'tuned' some say yes, some say no.

PeteTheSwede Sep 12th, 2019 00:18

Found this on here and it's regards to xc70s and those had engine modifications from polestar to increase the HP, so most likely the V50 has most likely gone through the same treatment.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/newre...te=1&p=2540480

festa316 Feb 22nd, 2021 19:01

so what model is it !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aristotles Lantern (Post 2539484)
Hi all, it's recently come to my attention that my 2011 v50 D3 is actually an ex unmarked police car...

I've also noticed on the log book it says "VOLVO V50 2.0 D3 AUTHORITIES" which because I didn't notice; isn't what is declared on my insurance documentation. When I insured it I just gave them the reg number and they confirmed it was a Volvo v50...

Should I let them know? Do any of you have the AUTHORITIES editions? It's not even in the list on the insurer's website

I know it's got bigger brakes than spec (with wear sensors - which is how my mechanic found out it's an ex police car - the computer was going mental saying it'd run out of brake fluid, which it hadn't but the wear sensors are jerry-rigged into the fluid warning system). It's got all the blues in the grill but they've obviously been disconnected. Do you guys know any other differences between this car and stock? it goes pretty quick but I assume it's the original engine maybe with a bit of tuning?

my insurance company can not find the correct model on line and can not cover me till i can tell them

festa316 Feb 22nd, 2021 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by festa316 (Post 2712300)
my insurance company can not find the correct model on line and can not cover me till i can tell them

so what model are they ?

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Feb 22nd, 2021 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by festa316 (Post 2712300)

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
We have the facility to enter vehicle details manually on our system which don;t appear on the standard databases.
Regards,
Dan.

kentishvolvo Feb 25th, 2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aristotles Lantern (Post 2539484)

You’ll find that most authorities models will have updated power. I know for example Kent’s v90’s are delivered with Polestar, Alloys are different too.

Not too sure on the older ones but Volvo do have an authorities department so it maybe worth making contact.

iainmd Mar 2nd, 2021 14:59

I'd be fairly surprised if a D3 has had any form of power upgrade from the factory. A D5, maybe.

More than likely a D3 has been used as a paramedic car rather than police.