Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   How to fit a 12v socket in the xc60 load compartment (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=246858)

Stringbag Mar 17th, 2016 13:38

How to fit a 12v socket in the xc60 load compartment

Maybe a mod could move this to the how to section.

Fitting a 12v socket is relatively straightforward. It took me about an hour but that was being very careful removing panels.
If you look at the Volvo accessories website it list the part number 31435603 for the xc60,v40,v60 and some others. This kit contains a lots of bits that you do not need. It's only apx £37 but you throw most of it away, which seems a bit of a waste. All you need for the xc60 is the socket 31324708 and retaining collar 30653376 nothing else. The wiring is there already. You don't even need a fuse.

Tools wise you will need a very sharp knife, an 8mm and a 10mm socket set.

It fits just forward of the light bulb cover on the drivers side. The wiring is folded back on itself at the base on the panel on the drivers side. It is quite a long cable and just plugs into the back of the socket.

It would probably be possible to do it without removing any panels but it's easy enough to remove them.

This is a link showing you how to remove the side panel in the boot. Note it shows the opposite side that you need to remove but the principle is the same. http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...ll/XC60%202014

This shows you the back of the panel on a v40 which merely shows you how to cut the hole and mount the socket.
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...-470576-3/2013

That's it. Remove panel, cut hole, inset socket, attach plug. Reassemble. Done.

Stringbag Mar 17th, 2016 13:44

1 Attachment(s)
Pic attached, although it appears to be upside down in the thumbnail. How do I put it in line with the text? (Or can a mod do it please). Thanks.

ronkt04 Mar 17th, 2016 16:32

String bag,

Thanks for the info, just wondering what MY is your XC60.

Thanks

Ronkt04

Stringbag Mar 17th, 2016 16:55

2014 but according to the Volvo garage mechanic they are all the same 09-current.

Redsun351 Mar 17th, 2016 18:17

Is it still a permanent live or on the ignition?

I was told by the dealer that the wiring wasn't there after it was dropped as a standard item (which on a 40K plus car is a disgrace but that's another story along with privacy glass, front parking senors and space saver spare wheel)
I'll have a look and see now it may well be possible on a 16MY.

wimorrison Mar 17th, 2016 18:34

Permanent live

gezp Sep 10th, 2017 18:20

Does any one know if the wiring is present on the MY18 xc60's. I have noticed the socket is standard fit on the R Design pro and Inscription pro model's.

GJB Sep 10th, 2017 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by gezp (Post 2317046)
Does any one know if the wiring is present on the MY18 xc60's. I have noticed the socket is standard fit on the R Design pro and Inscription pro model's.

I expect they are only using one wiring harness through the whole range IMHO

upv5 Apr 16th, 2019 13:55

Just fitted the 12V socket to load compartment on 2017 XC60. I managed to do this without removing any panels, wiring and plug were taped to the wiring loom and just visible under the insulation to the right of spare wheel well (red and white live-green and black earth) with a firm tug the masking tape split and wiring was free. Using a stiff wire through the bulb changing cover I pulled the wire up and worked it across to the position shown in the Volvo instructions, there is already a split in the insulation to facilitate this. On the rear of the panel where the socket goes is a raised lump, drilled a 3mm hole where I thought center of the lump was but it took 2 attempts to get it spot on. Opened hole up to 25mm (closest to 27mm I've got) and then modified to correct size and shape with stanley knife and file. Fitted the socket and loosely attached the spacer and nut, rotate the socket to make fitting the plug easier then move to correct position and tighten the nut.
Tested and it was live so the fuse must be already fitted, I'd bought a good used socket from Ebay for £12 (part No 31324708) so that was all it cost me.

John

Robbie34 Apr 16th, 2019 19:17

Is the 12v socket in the boot of the 2019 V60 permanently live?

I'm travelling to France in four weeks and I use the socket for my fridge. I'll need to remove the plug on the overnight ferry if it's permanently live.

upv5 Apr 19th, 2019 15:02

Check your handbook for correct information but the cargo socket on our V50 and XC60 are permanently live.

John

The Thong Apr 19th, 2019 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by upv5 (Post 2514299)
Check your handbook for correct information but the cargo socket on our V50 and XC60 are permanently live.

John

My 65 plate V60CC is the same, I’d say yes it’s same on all the other models.

TT

Robbie34 Apr 21st, 2019 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by upv5 (Post 2514299)

John

From my handbook, thanks.

For the sockets to supply current, the car's electrical system must be set in the lowest ignition position I. The sockets are then active as long as the starter battery level does not become too low. If the engine is switched off and the car is locked, the sockets are deactivated. If the engine is switched off and the car is not locked, or is locked with double lock temporarily deactivated, then the sockets continue to be active for a further seven minutes.

MuscleFlex May 13th, 2019 17:18

Thanks for this info... I might check it out more. Where do you order the Volvo parts? direct from dealer or shop?

The Thong May 13th, 2019 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleFlex (Post 2520381)
Thanks for this info... I might check it out more. Where do you order the Volvo parts? direct from dealer or shop?

Go to the dealer, make sure you have the 40a J Fuse otherwise it won’t work.

AB100 May 15th, 2019 10:37

Our March 17 XC60 definately does not have the wiring for the socket in the boot area, I even followed the loom under the back seat to try and locate it, but nothing!
Perhaps its model specific, ours is a SE Lux Nav, i think one of the run out batches, but for identification, there is only one wiring connection box in the boot lamp access on the LHS.
As we dont need a tow bar, I used the trailer supply and mounted the socket on that side. There is a little bag tucked below the access hatch with a double connector, one is the supply to the hitch. I believe that the other is an indicator connection or similar, so I picked up an earth on one of the earth points visible nearby under the boot floor panels. Just needs a J case fuse for the connection box, and a socket of course.
As an afterthought, we have found that with prolonged use of these sockets, the plug can get very hot.
Our main use is for a cool box at 50W, which uses around 4Amps.
So am thinking of adding in a better socket arrangement, such as a two pin figure 8 type plug and socket, as used on portable radios for instance for our next tour!
AB

The Thong May 15th, 2019 21:08

If it’s anything like the V60, under the spare wheel carrier on the near side there will be a fuse box, a module etc for hitching in the wiring for a trailer and that’s where you work from.

MuscleFlex Jun 27th, 2020 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2520399)
Go to the dealer, make sure you have the 40a J Fuse otherwise it won’t work.

Hi - how do I know I have this 40A fuse? Where is it?

MrDatch Jun 28th, 2020 18:32

Cheers for posting all the info and links on this thread. I never would’ve found the wire tucked away behind the panel without it.
Managed to fit a socket in the boot of my 16plate D5 XC60, without removing the interior panel. I have a long pair of medical forceps, which I poked down from the access panel hole and clamped the wire.
Still had to remove the lower boot floor panel but that was it. All in took 20mins 👍✌️

TillM Jul 2nd, 2020 13:04

Thanks for the info in this thread

Thanks to all for this thread.

I had ordered a complete Luggage compartment 12v Socket , from VolvoPartshop.com Installed it all without stripping out half the inside trim as I could reach to where the socket was supposed to go and then tested it and it was not working, then I read through this and another thread that " The Thong" posted in and found out about the 40J fuse! A quick trip to Halfords to buy the fuse and hey presto it's all working.:regular_smile:

One happy chappy and one happy wife that gets to have her coolbox in the rear on our outings!

The Thong Jul 3rd, 2020 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleFlex (Post 2642648)
Hi - how do I know I have this 40A fuse? Where is it?

Sorry I missed this. The J fuse is a green plastic block that pushes onto two blades. Look up 40a Blade fuse on google as a reference. There’s a fuse box next to where the trailer module goes, there’s a socket for the fuse which is green in colour. You can get the fuses from Halfords, pop it in the fuse holder and bingo, power to the Aux socket. The fuse box is n the NS of the boot floor under the spare wheels carrier panel and as memory serves it has a lid on it. Excuse my vague description, it’s been 2.5yrs since I fitted the Aux socket. Anyway, good luck.

TT

HDAV Jan 5th, 2021 15:21

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by upv5 (Post 2513414)
Just fitted the 12V socket to load compartment on 2017 XC60. I managed to do this without removing any panels, wiring and plug were taped to the wiring loom and just visible under the insulation to the right of spare wheel well (red and white live-green and black earth) with a firm tug the masking tape split

Hmmm bump an old thread been looking for this elusive wiring my car has towbar so can’t use that found some additional wiring on the off side parking sensors? And the towing kit on the near side and in the wheel well but no sign of the red/white & green/black pair???

Anyone help the kit has now increased to £55 but it seems it comes with extras and can be run to somewhere to connect it?

HDAV Jan 5th, 2021 15:25

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this helps but the V40 instructions suggest you can plug it into the towing module wonder if that is what I need to do? And hence need the full kit?

Sidsimpa Apr 11th, 2021 12:22

Hi, new on here and new to volvos, got xc60 66 plate rdesign d5, love it, want to install a 12v socket in cargo area (boot), found a cable on passenger side behind cover, its 2 orange wires going to 1 red wire then has a 10a fuse on the end, can anyone tell me if this is the correct cable, thanks

upv5 Apr 12th, 2021 14:43

On mine the cable was factory fitted on the drivers side and was red/white live and green/black earth. Without removing side panel the wiring is hidden and taped up but I think I used a mirror and managed to hook the wires and pulled till the tape split. If you put the socket where Volvo indicate the wires just plug on and away you go.

John

Sidsimpa Apr 12th, 2021 15:14

Thanks for reply john, will try using a mirror, the fuse box in the cargo area on mine is on the passenger side so just assumed it would be there

upv5 Apr 16th, 2021 14:47

If your lucky and find the wires on the drivers side there is no need to worry about fuses as they are already connected to one of the fuse boxes.

John

Sidsimpa Apr 18th, 2021 12:44

Found it, not much cable length to play with but will give it a go, just need to order socket now then get it sorted, thanks again

upv5 Apr 19th, 2021 13:07

That's good news, don't buy the Volvo kit as it has umpteen wires you don't need, I bought mine off ebay for £11 second hand but excellent condition, Google part No 9452379 or 31324708.

John

Sidsimpa Apr 19th, 2021 16:15

Thanks for the advice just saved me a fortune, just ordered one off ebay £14

HDAV Apr 26th, 2021 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidsimpa (Post 2729939)
Thanks for the advice just saved me a fortune, just ordered one off ebay £14

couldn't find one under £30 so i just ordered the full kit from FRF for £41 as i think ill need the extra cables as i have towing kit installed and no sign of the wires in the boot....

HDAV Apr 28th, 2021 14:29

Its arrived!

HDAV Apr 28th, 2021 20:31

1 Attachment(s)
It’s fitted the wire was there all along so didn’t need the cables that came with the kit! For those with a rubber load liner make sure you mount it high enough I was slightly lucky :angel_smile:

Sidsimpa May 10th, 2021 21:07

Fitted mine only took about 30 mins, used a 2 pence coin as template, then cut it out with a hooked stanley blade, I'm a carpet fitter so was easy,

jyp18a Oct 4th, 2021 21:13

How difficult is it to see the taped back wiring from the light cover?
Second question, does the wiring have spade type connectors or a plug?
I have not got a suitable socket I was assuming that a generic one would suit.
Many thanks in anticipation.

HDAV Oct 4th, 2021 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyp18a (Post 2775365)
How difficult is it to see the taped back wiring from the light cover?
Second question, does the wiring have spade type connectors or a plug?
I have not got a suitable socket I was assuming that a generic one would suit.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Has a green (maybe black) plug on the end if I recall correctly… I found it, tricky but found it in the end. A generic socket may not be plug and play….

jyp18a Oct 4th, 2021 21:37

Thanks for your reply.
In your opinion would I have to source an XC60 socket or would a different model have the correct one?
Sorry to be a bit pedantic but I really do grudge paying for a new Volvo one.
My previous xc70 had it already fitted and I think that this was standard at least on mine.

HDAV Oct 4th, 2021 21:58

It’s 12v cut the plug off and crimp it at your own risk use whatever fitting you like…..they were standard that why the wiring is there, then they became an option you could always buy an older model to save the £20-50

jyp18a Oct 4th, 2021 22:25

I figured out what was meant by the plug and play just before you replied.
Doing a bit of fettling with the wiring should be within my capabilities.
I will leave you in peace for the rest of the night, again many thanks.

glynh Oct 5th, 2021 10:12

tempted to do this with my v60 but reading the 'instructions' it seems a lot of trim removal..