Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's the problem with electric cars? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330305)

Jimarilo Jan 20th, 2023 12:52

What's the problem with electric cars?

#electriccars #2030 #netzero

Richard Vobes
67.2K subscribers

8,470 views Jan 20, 2023
I talk to Geoff from Geoff Buys Cars about the future of electric cars and the national plan to force everyone into them by 2030.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzPKGBJ3Ing

4x4 Jan 20th, 2023 13:31

An interesting comparison here Volvo C40 EV

Mint Cake Jan 20th, 2023 13:51

For me its as simple as reliability.

Can I reliably charge my leccy car in my locale - no.**

Can I rely on it not to go "bang" (or have a major component go bang) when its out of warranty, leaving me with a repair that is more than the value of the car - no.

In a few years time, it'll be a different kettle of fish.

** I live rurally. A different matter if you live cheek by jowel with others.

hicky70 Jan 20th, 2023 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimarilo (Post 2873509)
#electriccars #2030 #netzero

Richard Vobes
67.2K subscribers

8,470 views Jan 20, 2023
I talk to Geoff from Geoff Buys Cars about the future of electric cars and the national plan to force everyone into them by 2030.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzPKGBJ3Ing

There was a program on EV's on I think BBC1 last night, essentially, don't bother.
One woman interviewed bought a small EV a few years ago. Per KV her cost went up by a factor of x3...WTF!
That's IF you can pack it close enough at home to charge it!

Ulrikas PA Jan 20th, 2023 14:54

Buy a hybrid for the time being is an alternative to being caught out trying to charge.

It's a compromise as most things are in life, but it works for many.

Jimarilo Jan 20th, 2023 16:32

except a hybrid defeats to object ........by using more fuel per mile, not to mention the up front costs of buying such an effort and maintenance. More to go wrong imo

There is nothing as yet, that can replace fossil fuels as a means of energy ....fact !!

It is impossible to get to netzero and if we did, everything on earth would die....fact !!

John97Tdi Jan 20th, 2023 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimarilo (Post 2873560)
except a hybrid defeats to object ........by using more fuel per mile, not to mention the up front costs of buying such an effort and maintenance. More to go wrong imo

There is nothing as yet, that can replace fossil fuels as a means of energy ....fact !!

It is impossible to get to netzero and if we did, everything on earth would die....fact !!

Curious use of the word 'fact' - prior to human industrialization there weren't any events in the archaeological record of mass die offs due to lack of CO2. And
lots of things could replace fossil fuels - the reason we don't use them basically comes down to the cost of changeover and the resistance by fossil fuel producers to protect their vested interests.

SnineT Jan 20th, 2023 18:16

Walks in...looks around...walks out :sport009:

Tannaton Jan 20th, 2023 18:25

Firstly, there is no Government drive to force us all into electric cars by 2030 - that's BS.

The current plan is to ban the sale of ICE only car in 2030. There is currently no plan to criminalise the use of petrol/diesel cars - ever.

I too don't like electric cars - but that's because of their lack of maturity and infrastructure - not because they're not any good. If we had been driving around in electric cars for the past 100 years and someone invented a diesel - no one would bother.

Hybrids are the short term future for performance cars - they do work very well. Smaller more efficient engine for everyday commuting, no need for a larger less efficient engine when you need that extra ooomph. And many can run on EV only, though with limited range. Maybe more to go wrong - but you have a backup propulsion system to get you home......

Tannaton Jan 20th, 2023 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnineT (Post 2873587)
Walks in...looks around...walks out :sport009:

I thought he was you using a different username !! :-)