Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   best oil? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281962)

matt808 May 17th, 2018 21:47

best oil?

hi
girlfriend taking her car for a service next week so thought i may as well take mine as well...
bought my car in January i think the guy i bought it from did his own oil changes, maintenance etc. The oil still seems ok to me , light colour, don't seem to have burnt through much since i got it etc but i think i might get it changed anyway.
question is i think it probably has decent oil in itvand i don't want it changed for anything inferior especially if it doesn't really need it and it's an older car so what's the 'best' stuff i can get for it, or can ask the garage to put in?
it's an 04 s40 petrol

cheers
matt

Clan May 17th, 2018 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt808 (Post 2404856)
hi
girlfriend taking her car for a service next week so thought i may as well take mine as well...
bought my car in January i think the guy i bought it from did his own oil changes, maintenance etc. The oil still seems ok to me , light colour, don't seem to have burnt through much since i got it etc but i think i might get it changed anyway.
question is i think it probably has decent oil in itvand i don't want it changed for anything inferior especially if it doesn't really need it and it's an older car so what's the 'best' stuff i can get for it, or can ask the garage to put in?
it's an 04 s40 petrol

cheers
matt

0w/30 A5/B5 should help a little with fuel economy too .

Dippydog May 18th, 2018 08:02

If you're asking for a brand name recommendation e.g. Shell,Castrol etc then you're likely to get as many different answers as there are brands.Some will swear by brand X,while others will say they tried that and this or that happened so now they'll only ever use brand Y.Unless you have a particular favourite[sounds like you don't] then go with whatever is the correct grade and meets the correct specs. I'd avoid anything that appears to be so cheap as to be untrue,but having said that I use TripleX from ECP in my cars.

Austin160 May 18th, 2018 08:03

Best oil.

The handbook will specify the correct grade - would anticipate 5w/30 - probably fully synthetic.
Brand?
Surely the brand of oil (of the correct grade) will be determined by what the servicing garage buy in bulk, so it would be worth asking them what that brand is.
If you are considering buying your own oil and taking that with you to the servicing garage, then they might (just might) suggest thinking about buying a piece of steak at the local butchers and asking the restaurant owner to cook it for you! Just a thought.

matt808 May 18th, 2018 11:20

ok cheers, i can't find the handbook so was mainly wondering whether to use full synthetic really

clarkey1984 May 18th, 2018 11:55

Shell helix ultra 5w30 is what I normally use, great fully synthetic oil and made to decent spec too.

trufauru May 18th, 2018 21:40

What is the millage on that engine?

With 226000kmts I'm currently using Motul 8100 5W40 and I'm very happy with it.

clarkey1984 May 19th, 2018 08:32

I think the burning question has to be where is skyship? Haven't read a detailed oil post about varnish and sulphides and whatever else for ages haha