Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Engine Polestar upgrade (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294992)

gsouth9 May 22nd, 2019 10:45

Engine Polestar upgrade

Hi I am new to Volvo and the forum so please bare with... Have purchased a model 2019 V60 ex demonstrator... Was looking at the polestar engine upgrade and wondered if anyone had it... or was it worth it in terms of performance and fuel performance? Seems a high price to pay which you might not see in terms of fuel saving? Any advise or comments welcome

SignumGB May 22nd, 2019 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsouth9 (Post 2522556)
Hi I am new to Volvo and the forum so please bare with... Have purchased a model 2019 V60 ex demonstrator... Was looking at the polestar engine upgrade and wondered if anyone had it... or was it worth it in terms of performance and fuel performance? Seems a high price to pay which you might not see in terms of fuel saving? Any advise or comments welcome

Got Polestar done 2 weeks ago on a D4 XC70 manual. It's refined the car and a more enjoyable drive. Thanks to some forum member here, I was spurned on to find a better deal and shop around. Got it for £675. However, others have found it for much cheaper, albeit was too far away from me for a cost/time benefit.

I could have got a much cheaper performance enhancement from a third party, but that would have invalidated my Volvo Selekt warranty. Plus, if you take your Volvo into a dealer and get any software updates from Volvo as part of a service, it will wipe your third party mod. With Polestar, that doesnt happen. For the above reasons, thats why I was happy to pay for Polestar.

Clan May 22nd, 2019 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsouth9 (Post 2522556)

Polestar is not an economy device it is a power increase , If you are going to pay out that kind of money you are going to use it surely? Which will increase fuel consumption . What volvo say is that it does not increase fuel consumption , which is true if you drive the same as you did before . Polestar also alters the performance of other areas of the car such as gearbox for example ...

volvocat May 22nd, 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2522563)
Got Polestar done 2 weeks ago on a D4 XC70 manual. It's refined the car and a more enjoyable drive. Thanks to some forum member here, I was spurned on to find a better deal and shop around. Got it for £675. However, others have found it for much cheaper, albeit was too far away from me for a cost/time benefit.

I could have got a much cheaper performance enhancement from a third party, but that would have invalidated my Volvo Selekt warranty. Plus, if you take your Volvo into a dealer and get any software updates from Volvo as part of a service, it will wipe your third party mod. With Polestar, that doesnt happen. For the above reasons, thats why I was happy to pay for Polestar.

Agree with all the above.
As you’ll see from my Volvo history, I’ve found P* very worthwhile, both with 5-cyl. engines and newer 4-cyl.
It can seem a little pricey and on paper the figures don’t always look particularly impressive, but it’s more about refinement and usability - and mid-range punch is noticeably better.
Don’t expect to save on fuel. Although they say that economy is unaffected, that’s just in normal use - but the extra performance can encourage your right foot to put on weight, which will have an effect!
There’s rarely any need to pay full price as there are official offers from time to time and sometimes you can get a discount simply by asking, but that depends entirely on dealership attitude - e.g. you’ve just bought a nearly new car, so maybe they’ll want to keep their new customer happy...? Good luck!

green van man May 22nd, 2019 16:29

I have it and would not now be without it. D5 xc70 manual.

Paul.

Ukwide May 23rd, 2019 09:37

Polestar Upgrade

Hi, I’ve got the Polestar upgrade on my 2010 S80 D5 and it does make a big difference. It turns the car from a swift saloon to one which is responsive, smooth and very, very swift.

As for fuel economy, forget it, you will want to use the power especially for overtaking, which be warned needs thought, because if you hit the shag pile with your right foot, the car will respond immediately and the back of the car In front will come up very fast whilst you’re still waiting for the gap to appear. If you drive like a nun on mogadon and I’ve tried it, I cannot get the fuel consumption above 52 mpg and that was on a continental 400 mile autobahn run ta 60 mph.

BUT, it does put a huge smile on your face 😆