Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 B4 2020 Engine squealing (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299070)

Martdw1 Oct 1st, 2019 12:09

XC60 B4 2020 Engine squealing

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of my first ever Volvo, a XC60 B4 R-Design AWD.

Unfortunately the 'main auxiliary belt' is squealing like a loose fan belt.

I immediately took it back to the dealer and the technician, who only attended the course on the B4 engine this week, said it was a known problem and that the noise would wear off after the coating on the belt wore in/off.

He also said it was worse with the engine being a mild hybrid as the belt is working all the time, not just when accelerating.

Anyone had experience of this, and more importantly did it wear off and after what time period/mileage.

Thanks

Dilinger Oct 3rd, 2019 06:58

I think it’s too early for testimonials.
I have a B5 but haven’t noticed any noise except the usual diesel sound idle..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martdw1 (Post 2558703)
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of my first ever Volvo, a XC60 B4 R-Design AWD.

Unfortunately the 'main auxiliary belt' is squealing like a loose fan belt.

I immediately took it back to the dealer and the technician, who only attended the course on the B4 engine this week, said it was a known problem and that the noise would wear off after the coating on the belt wore in/off.

He also said it was worse with the engine being a mild hybrid as the belt is working all the time, not just when accelerating.

Anyone had experience of this, and more importantly did it wear off and after what time period/mileage.

Thanks

SextonRatsy Dec 3rd, 2019 08:59

Hi,

First time Volvo owner here, just got my new XC60 B4 Momentum Pro. I'm seeing exactly the same issue, squeaking at 750-1500rpm. I've got it booked in at my local dealer on Friday but was wondering if this was ever resolved? Did the squeak eventually disappear?

Cheers, SR

Martdw1 Dec 3rd, 2019 10:58

Squealing

Hi,

The squealing on my B4 was diminishing after 2 weeks. It got to the stage that it only squealed when the engine was regenerating (i.e. not accelerating or under load). However, I got fed up with it and went back to the dealer again. They referred to Volvo and were told to replace the belt and only if that didn't work then potentially replace the belt tensioner.

Replacing the belt worked and the squealing instantly disappeared.

Cheers

SextonRatsy Dec 3rd, 2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martdw1 (Post 2577433)
Hi,

The squealing on my B4 was diminishing after 2 weeks. It got to the stage that it only squealed when the engine was regenerating (i.e. not accelerating or under load). However, I got fed up with it and went back to the dealer again. They referred to Volvo and were told to replace the belt and only if that didn't work then potentially replace the belt tensioner.

Replacing the belt worked and the squealing instantly disappeared.

Cheers

Thanks a lot, I'll share that with my local dealer.

xsaab Dec 4th, 2019 11:08

On my B5 Rdesign I get a whirring sound that is more noticeable than the typical harsh diesel sound - quite pleasant in a way