Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   help my engine is making a lot of noise! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57141)

Clan Aug 27th, 2008 18:42

is it a grinding noise as if a bearing has worn, or just noisy due to high engine speed? Its not unusual for the units to be damp ! At least check the oil levels ...
Maybe he doesnt understand them ..( i'd put money on it that he doesnt )

foggyjames Aug 29th, 2008 03:02

I just replied to your other thread, but this one is more active! The CVT boxes are notoriously tricky when it comes to finding competant mechanics to work on them. If your man has told you you need a new box without even looking at it...he's almost certainly wrong. The number of CVTs which get written off because mechanics do not understand them is frightening.

Given that you have (or had? has it gone away?) the cold-start issue, I strongly suspect that you have a vacuum problem...vacuum being critical to the operation of the CVT box (unlike on a normal car where a vacuum leak simply makes the engine run badly).

cheers

James

spike4073 Aug 31st, 2008 14:41

there doesnt appear to be any problem with the oil in the gearbox as i suspected earlier....found a mechanic who understands cvt's :) he hasnt seen the car yet but reckons it may be a belt slipping or wrongly alighned...i suspect he will try to tell me it needs new belts....anyone know if this is likley to be expensive?

Clan Aug 31st, 2008 15:05

I refer you to my post#3 above .. but as you say you need more choke since this happened you need to look at the black vacuum hoses coming from the manifold , Even a cracked breather hose would lower the vacuum avaailable but this would also cause a rough , slow idle ...
Yes belts are expensive , i can remember when they were £30 a pair but probably £150 a pair now ..

spike4073 Sep 27th, 2008 14:16

hi the fault has now been traced to the vacuum valve thingy ...aparently i need a new one....any ideas where i can get one...cant find em anywhere

Titus Apr 7th, 2009 19:34

obviouse

Why didn't anyone think abouta vacuum based fault? its so obviouse now i know.

spike4073 Jul 7th, 2009 20:08

finaly got my hands on a replacement vaccum valve...much better now.....still a noisy lil bugger tho not worried this time tho am certain that this is down to the absence of soundproofing anywhere in the car lol.....was curious if anyone knows.....were they built like this or is it likely someone has stripped it for some unknown reason?

foggyjames Jul 8th, 2009 00:27

They were fitted with quite a bit of soundproofing at the factory...so I'm not quite sure why it would have been removed.

cheers

James

spike4073 Jul 8th, 2009 12:01

hmm....god knows......maybee had problem with water getting in in the past or sumfin? ...have heard that can cause people to remove it (would find it hard to beleive tho...not a spot of rust anywhere on the whole car) its a mystery that i will most likely never solve ....... ....so would that prehaps explain why the car seems so noisy whilst driving?

foggyjames Jul 8th, 2009 21:28

It certainly would. A friend had some welding work done to his floorpans, and they didn't replace the soundproofing. It's a lot noisier than an original 360 at high speed...although at least it's not rusty :)

cheers

James