Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   cost of tyres v cost of insurance (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=111721)

malcolmk Dec 16th, 2010 16:37

cost of tyres v cost of insurance

lots of moans about cost of insurance,which of course we must have,but we also must have tyres, just bought two winter tyres for my 18" volans, each tyre was more than my insurance, why are tyres so expensive,? and no one gets on their high horse,lets have more moaners LOL.

migrator Dec 16th, 2010 17:01

Common size tyres will be less expensive, even for winter tyres I guess.

isleaiw Dec 16th, 2010 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmk (Post 798752)
lots of moans about cost of insurance,which of course we must have,but we also must have tyres, just bought two winter tyres for my 18" volans, each tyre was more than my insurance, why are tyres so expensive,? and no one gets on their high horse,lets have more moaners LOL.

well you have to have insurance but you dont have to have 18 inch wheels!

and I can get 4 tyres for the price of my insurance - and my road fund! And I'm relatively low risk - apart from having 3 points and doing 35k miles a year!

malcolmk Dec 16th, 2010 17:18

so, whats wrong with vanity ? although as i`ve got 302 brakes i have to fit larger wheels,only 17 or more fit, although i do only pay £160 for my comp cover.

toolbah Dec 16th, 2010 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmk (Post 798784)
although i do only pay £160 for my comp cover.

:err: must be perks of the job, lucky t*at. :broken_heart:

malcolmk Dec 16th, 2010 17:50

not really, i`m just very old,no convictions or accidents,and owned the car for 12years,and live in the lowest costing area, oh and i don`t charge myself any brokerage and i give myself the legal fees free, lol,

andy_d Dec 16th, 2010 19:36

dont go for run flats then,,,, there even Worse pennies wise (ask my mate with the m3 who had 2 flats in 1 week,,)

GMad Dec 16th, 2010 19:50

I don't do winter tyres and find the price of "normal" tyres quite reasonable really!
Mind you, my wheels are like shirt buttons in comparison. They're only piddly little 17s...

andy_d Dec 16th, 2010 19:56

im saying nothing about the 15inch on mine then,, even nice tyres dont run much more than 60 a corner, tho it does cost nearly as much as a years insurance for 5 tyres,,,but they last a Lot longer, and do what there supposed to do when i need them,,,,,

isleaiw Dec 17th, 2010 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmk (Post 798784)
so, whats wrong with vanity ? although as i`ve got 302 brakes i have to fit larger wheels,only 17 or more fit, although i do only pay £160 for my comp cover.

Nothing wrong with vanity - I've had my share of BMs with big wheels but now old age means comfort comes first!

I pay £450 for my S60, with no mods - mainly down to the mileage I cover it would seem (although 3 pts and one fault claim wont help!