Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   AWD Haldex and diff issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=241164)

AustenAWD Dec 9th, 2015 14:01

AWD Haldex and diff issues

Hi all new to the forum. I currently fix Freelander 2 transmissions (diffs and haldex), but am starting get inquiries about the Volvo units. Id like to try and help, but need to collate as much info as possible so i can try and cure the symptom/problems described. I know the Freelander inside out but not had the pleasure of getting my hands dirty with the volvo AWD units(or ford kuga). I understand that there are various vibrations and noises that look likely to be caused by the Haldex unit itself. The majority of problems in Freelanders is actually a diff failure which i can now fix but in a way that will prevent it happening again (its a design fault). Id really like to to do the same for the affected Volvo cars. So if anyone would like to go into a detail about their own experiences id be extremely grateful, and if anyone is currently suffering issues and cannot get a resolution im happy to investigate the car free of charge (this is what i did with the freelanders to come up with a robust solution)

Im not sure if the guy i initially spoke to about his XC60 is on here, but he was stuck in a battle with Volvo to sort his car out, and was going to get back in touch with me but i havent heard from him, so if you read this give me a shout as im in a better situation to help at the moment (i have brand new Haldex 4 units in stock for a lot less than Volvo!)

iain cooper Dec 9th, 2015 17:06

I don't think the diff issue is really a big a problem with the Volvo as it is with the freelander?

Iain

The Landshark Dec 13th, 2015 00:00

Pressure sensors and pump failures seem to be the biggest issues with the gen 3 haldex.
That and the haldex oil and filters not being changed

4candles Dec 14th, 2015 11:24

I have an 04 XC70 auto that has fairly comprehensive history and quite low mileage but i doubt the AWD has received much if any maintenance, i do see gear oil, gearbox oil and various filters on some of the service receipts but no details of exactly what was done.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this filter and the oil specs or any info you think is pertinent to this procedure as i think i'd like to change them out in the near future.

My thanks

4c

Acer Dec 15th, 2015 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Landshark (Post 2025773)
Pressure sensors and pump failures seem to be the biggest issues with the gen 3 haldex.
That and the haldex oil and filters not being changed

What are the symptoms of pump failures and what is the easiest way to test that it is working as expected (assuming all other AWD elements are fine)? You don't read a lot about pump failures in Volvos. Seems to be the spline sleeve and angle gear with a bit of DEM and DEM oil sensors chucked in for good measure!

deanoinmorley Dec 16th, 2015 00:42

My 2001 XC70 (non heldex) rear diff is constantly whining. If I take my foot of the accelerator it really does whine. I'm sure it's a bearing but can it be repaired and how difficult is it to remove and replace?

100K+ Dec 16th, 2015 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4candles (Post 2026352)
I have an 04 XC70 auto that has fairly comprehensive history and quite low mileage but i doubt the AWD has received much if any maintenance, i do see gear oil, gearbox oil and various filters on some of the service receipts but no details of exactly what was done.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this filter and the oil specs or any info you think is pertinent to this procedure as i think i'd like to change them out in the near future.

My thanks

4c

Rear Axel Oil Part No.1161620
Gear Box (Man) P/N31280771 need 2off
Angle Gear P/N 31259380
AOC P/N 31325136

DId not change filter. all P/N are for a V70AWD R 2004.
I bought an vacuum pump from machine mart to suck the old oil out.

Hope this help

Cheers

Bob

4candles Dec 17th, 2015 13:07

Thanks 100+k, i'm keener than ever to service the system now i've seen your new thread, will follow it with interest.:thumbs_up:

greyv70 Jul 25th, 2016 16:57

Hello AustenAWD
I would be interested to talk to you further about my car. I've owned the car since Feb this year and despite having been looked after quite well (FSH) the rear Haldex unit seems to have been a bit neglected and to my knowledge the AWD is currently not working.

The car has now done 115k miles and until recently the Haldex unit had no fluid and was completely caked in grime on the outside. I'm guessing a seal has gone somehow causing the fluid to leak out but I've no idea if the filters / pump are blocked as well as it is so difficult to get to.

I normally carry out my own car maintenance but this is a bit beyond me. If this is something that you'd be able to help me with please let me know how to contact you as I am unable to PM you thanks Chris

100K+ Aug 29th, 2016 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyv70 (Post 2145284)
Hello AustenAWD
I would be interested to talk to you further about my car. I've owned the car since Feb this year and despite having been looked after quite well (FSH) the rear Haldex unit seems to have been a bit neglected and to my knowledge the AWD is currently not working.

The car has now done 115k miles and until recently the Haldex unit had no fluid and was completely caked in grime on the outside. I'm guessing a seal has gone somehow causing the fluid to leak out but I've no idea if the filters / pump are blocked as well as it is so difficult to get to.

I normally carry out my own car maintenance but this is a bit beyond me. If this is something that you'd be able to help me with please let me know how to contact you as I am unable to PM you thanks Chris

What you need to do in order is get the car read with a DICE/VIDA. This will give you a great insight into what you need to do next. If you don't/cant you are feeling you way in the dark.
The DEM unit has a pressure gauge (small) and a control module (large) inside. The pressure gauge sometimes go faulty. If so VIDA/DICE will tell you.
VIDA DICE will also give you live pressure value data - might prove* the sensor works/don't work. see caviat.
Disconnect the pump lead and check the pump works with a 12volt battery- you will hear it running - If you need to change the pump you need to remove the prop shaft ( and 90% the exhaust too). The DEM controller suffers from water ingress damage, and sometimes gives " false" reading to the DEM
* due to DEM damage no pressure is shown on VIDA DICE which claims a pressure valve issue, when the PV is actually ok.- that caught me.
You can get your DEM unit checked out. I tried on company in Kent, who said the unit was fine, and then spent months trying to fix the AWD, when the DEM was infact faulty. Lukas, sorted me a referbed unit which is working great - no DTC'S and lots of AWD.

If you want to ask any questions just ask
Cheers

Bob.