Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   8 speed auto or manual? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=196893)

ChrisL Jan 16th, 2014 20:00

8 speed auto or manual?

Hi all,

Got a test drive in a manual XC this weekend and most likely to be ordering come Monday morning (it's a company car through a lease scheme).

Questions is do I go manual or auto? Have never owned an auto, but have driven plenty, but wonder if you guys have heard any reports about how well the new box and engine go together?

Only downsides are 20 quid a month extra tax versus the manual spec I had chose and I won't be upgrade to a TFT display or have heated seats if I go auto.

Look forward to some feedback

Thanks

TurboZutek Jan 16th, 2014 20:21

I'd avoid the auto.

Chris...

ChrisL Jan 16th, 2014 20:27

Any particular reason?

spaceman2844 Jan 16th, 2014 21:01

Can you get the opportunity to test drive a geartronic? I went test driving fully intending to buy a manual, and drove both the manual and geartronic on the day. Definitely preferred the geartronic and have a D4 FWD geartronic XC60 on order. I'm currently driving a manual car but previously had a geartronic XC90 for a couple of years and really liked it. When I ordered in November I was only able to test drive the 6 speed auto and not the new 8 speed auto, so I suppose I'm taking a bit of a risk with ordering without actually driving the newer 8 speed gearbox. However, my car should be delivered before the end of the month so I'll post a full report when I get it.

My dealer told me that in fact they sell more manual XC60s than geartronic although looking nationwide in the used listings, geartronics seem just slightly more popular.

Good luck with your choice!

wimorrison Jan 16th, 2014 21:11

Once you drive the Geartronic you will wonder why you have driven manual gearboxes up until now though I have to agree the heated seats are nice as is the TFT display

Tough choice, but I would go for gearbox.

taylorc Jan 16th, 2014 21:12

I personally hate driving a manual now, I find the whole process tiring! My first experience of an auto was a DSG box (more automated manual than true auto) in my Audi S3 which was truly amazing, I'm now driving a MY13 XC60 D5 geartronic and it is so smooth and relaxing.
If I had a choice I would take a dual clutch system anytime but failing that it has to be auto, my left foot aches now every time I drive a manual!

Flux Jan 16th, 2014 22:39

Gone for a geartronic too as there comes a time when you've got to try something new that you haven't had before.

Fuel consumption roughly the same as manual so that made the choice easier for me. Buying myself so no tax to consider for BIK on emissions.

Flappy paddles will give you the option to change gear so will still have a semi manual feel to it.

And for the amout I'm about to fork out for mine, geartronic seems like a more luxurious option so helps me justify the cost! Just hope it will be all I expect it to be.

FOOTNOTE - Also noticed that the Jaguar xf models only have geartronic option. Maybe this will be the future for all cars soon as once they start driving themselves with smart technology (like platoon), the gearboxes will have to be automatic to cater for variable speeds where there is less driver input.. Just a thought but welcome comment.

squeezy81 Jan 16th, 2014 22:58

I have got a Geartronic D4 FWD R-Design on order, Having only ever had manual cars this will be a bit of a change but i think that nowadays with all the traffic we have to sit in why have a manual - The only real terms benefit i can see for a manual is if your on a track.

I am sure this will be up for debate, just mho

taylorc Jan 16th, 2014 23:17

Interesting point Flux, I recently read an article that mentioned the decline of the manual gearbox. Now that technology has advanced to such a point where auto boxes of all kinds are that good (CVT, twin clutch, conventional) the advantages of a manual box are being negated (even in small cars), so much so that some manufacturers will now only supply an auto in one form or another.

As i said in my previous post, once you have tried a twin clutch system you never want to go back to a manual! Also, squeezy81 mentioned a track scenario.....a twin clutch system is absolutely brutal on a track thanks to the speed at which it changes gears (also launch control enables fantastic starts).

andymcp Jan 17th, 2014 08:58

Although not an XC60, I ordered my V60 in manual. Not because I necessarily wanted manual but because the difference between manual and auto on the V60 fuel economy numbers is significant. Yet the same engine/gearbox comparison on the XC60 shows virtually no difference. Strange....

Once Volvo get to the same point as Audi/BMW where the choice between auto/manual doesn't change fuel consumption, I'll make the switch.