Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Blonde Leather Interior (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279040)

Waggatron Mar 4th, 2018 17:52

Blonde Leather Interior

Could all you lovely forum members let me know your experiences of the blonde leather interior.

I want to go for a Denim Blue exterior and have decided against the pano roof (just can't justify it on a PCH)...so seems a good way to lift the interior light levels (certainly did that on my test driver recently).

My only question is whether the seats discolour badly over time. New jeans seem to bleed blue/indigo die for fun nowadays.

Can you protect against this with a product of some sort or does a good leather cleaning cream take it back to "as new".

I just wouldn't want to take a hit at return time for excessive "wear and tear".

pagan8c Mar 4th, 2018 18:23

I have a blonde interior leather on my momentum. To avoid me as a driver marking the leather with my jeans I have a synthetic sheep skin cover on the seat part and I am coming up to a year with my car and the seats look as good as new. Every now and then I give them a wipe with a leather cleaning cloth which come in packets like wet ones. I find the leather in the momentum are harder wearing than the ones in the Inscription. I personally would not have a black interior but there is also amber which I would seriously consider as well.

BigKahuna Mar 4th, 2018 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebster (Post 2376605)
Could all you lovely forum members let me know your experiences of the blonde leather interior.

I want to go for a Denim Blue exterior and have decided against the pano roof (just can't justify it on a PCH)...so seems a good way to lift the interior light levels (certainly did that on my test driver recently).

My only question is whether the seats discolour badly over time. New jeans seem to bleed blue/indigo die for fun nowadays.

Can you protect against this with a product of some sort or does a good leather cleaning cream take it back to "as new".

I just wouldn't want to take a hit at return time for excessive "wear and tear".

Haha ...I'm hoping that it can be well maintained as I've ordered the same colour combination as you. I nearly went for the amber which I think looks great, just wasn't sure I'd feel the same about it after a few months. To be fair I think the new blue jeans bleed is inevitable if you're not careful. I had an E Class with a light interior and it certainly did suffer from it a bit. I think regular treatment/cleaning is obviously going to help as well as avoiding wearing jeans. I'll be watching for some recommendations in response to your post. I also wonder how the steering wheel will look after a few miles.

BiggyG Mar 4th, 2018 18:33

A certain amount of it will depend on the quality of jeans you buy. I normally buy Levi’s 514 (stretchy waist!) and they don’t bleed. But Mrs G buys from all sorts of places and they often leave a blue tinge on our cream sofas.

mike95 Mar 4th, 2018 20:33

We have had our XC60 around 5 months and I have cleaned the seats with a leather wipe twice and leather cleaner once. They look as good as new. I don't wear blue jeans that often and throw an old towel on the seat when in my outdoors working gear.

I have also cleaned the steering wheel once and was a little surprised how dirty it was. Like new again now.

Personally I would go for it and just buy a packet of wipes.

We wouldn't have any other colour.

Mike

Quacker Mar 4th, 2018 21:02

1 Attachment(s)
While I'm keen on light interiors, especially colourful interiors, the blond interior is just too near white to be practical, for me.
Interior trim and seat colour customisation is one area where Volvo lags well behind brands like Jaguar Land Rover which have lovely combinations of materials and colours available, not just on seats but also dashboard and door trims.
The best interior I ever had in a car was my long gone Jaguar XK8. Latest Jaguars [apart from the new iPace] don't come close, although Range Rovers do.

This is what mine looked like, but this picture is from my brochure.

Attachment 110759

Director76 Mar 4th, 2018 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagan8c (Post 2376626)
I have a blonde interior leather on my momentum. To avoid me as a driver marking the leather with my jeans I have a synthetic sheep skin cover on the seat part and I am coming up to a year with my car and the seats look as good as new. Every now and then I give them a wipe with a leather cleaning cloth which come in packets like wet ones. I find the leather in the momentum are harder wearing than the ones in the Inscription. I personally would not have a black interior but there is also amber which I would seriously consider as well.

I’m all for covering seats when wearing any kind of dirty or dusty clothes, and the kids are drilled relentlessly to keep feet and general child stickiness off the seats, but surely permanently covering the seat to avoid staining suggests that the blond seats are impractical for everyday use or the colour choice is inconsistent with the owner’s (entirely reasonable) desire to keep the car in excellent condition?

I want to enjoy the seat material of my choice not feel compelled to cover it in another material just to protect it for the next owner! 🙂

qm2 Mar 4th, 2018 23:31

Currently got a Denim blue with blonde seats in a momentum pro, contrast is great, colouring does come off jeans but cleans of the seats no problem at all with leather cleaner.

Bernard F Mar 4th, 2018 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Director76 (Post 2376729)
I’m all for covering seats when wearing any kind of dirty or dusty clothes, and the kids are drilled relentlessly to keep feet and general child stickiness off the seats, but surely permanently covering the seat to avoid staining suggests that the blond seats are impractical for everyday use or the colour choice is inconsistent with the owner’s (entirely reasonable) desire to keep the car in excellent condition?

I want to enjoy the seat material of my choice not feel compelled to cover it in another material just to protect it for the next owner! 🙂

To reassure you my blond nappa leather seats are five months old and as good as new. My last XC60 was 3 years old and in similar condition as was all my previous cars with ivory upholstery. We wear normal day clothes, vacuum the seats with every car wash and don’t eat etc inside the car. My mileage is 8K each year.
They are perfectly practical for me but perhaps not so for high mileage, some working clothes, small children or other uses.

pagan8c Mar 5th, 2018 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Director76 (Post 2376729)

It is only when wearing jeans ,and I only lay the stuff on the seat . My wifes side isn't covered at all and looks just as good as mine. So I am not compelled to cover it I just like to keep the jean bleed from my seat as I don't wear Levi 501's just cheap ones.(Am I bad as I am too old for fashion jeans.)