Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   HU850 stereo removal. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310869)

TomP1980 Oct 14th, 2020 18:25

HU850 stereo removal.

Good evening.

I'll be fitting a GROM USB connection to my stereo.

Are there any tips when removing the stereo?

I've watched a couple of youtube videos. Some suggest disconnecting the battery. Am I correct that the negative terminal should be disconnected first to prevent error messages?

Another video suggests disconnecting the battery whilst the key is in position 2?

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

oragex Oct 14th, 2020 19:09

It doesn't matter which terminal is being disconnected first. The whole idea is to prevent from any mistake to touch the terminals and cause sparks. For the key in POSII and headlights ON when connecting and disconnecting the battery, some believe it can prevent a small thermistor from failing. https://youtu.be/cuEprePQbA8

JoeNinety Oct 15th, 2020 10:00

Always disconnect the negative (black) terminal first.
Then put an old glove (or similar) on it.

(The reason for disconnecting the battery if swapping out the stereo is if you are disconnecting the climate control as well - this will cause an SRS error if battery is connected when you disconnect the climate control - you wil then need VIDA or other suitable code device to reset)

ASt85 Oct 15th, 2020 10:00

Whilst oragex's post above is correct - the recommendation is to remove the negative (black) connection first so if you do accidently slip with the spanner when undoing the positive (red) terminal you don't cause a short circuit with a cloud of sparks from a frying spanner near the battery.:rolleyes:

NB How true JoeNinety.........:confused_smile:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeNinety (Post 2673283)
Always disconnect the negative (black) terminal first.
Then put an old glove (or similar) on it.

(The reason for disconnecting the battery if swapping out the stereo is if you are disconnecting the climate control as well - this will cause an SRS error if battery is connected when you disconnect the climate control - you will then need VIDA or other suitable code device to reset)

TomP1980 Oct 15th, 2020 16:14

Thank you for the advice. I'll attempt next week. Wish me luck

barrybritcher Oct 15th, 2020 21:35

use one hand to turn the torx once you have got it loose, use the other hand to catch the bolt / screw or itll fall into the gearbox shifter never to be found

barrybritcher Oct 15th, 2020 21:36

if you have an auto you will need the battery connected in order to shift it out of park etc as required to manoiever the head unit out. IF you remove the climate panel while the battery is still on you will get SRS error so ideally dont do this unless you have a code reader that does the SRS module

Technician Oct 18th, 2020 01:21

I'd also say put some double or trippled layered masking tape either side of the dash at the base of the climate and radio unit to protect the leather from damage as the combined unit is heavy and can swing a bit whilst you are fiddling.

Removal or covering the gear shift plate to prevent scratches can also save you from an annoying mark that you see everytime you get in the car.

teleplayer Oct 26th, 2020 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrybritcher (Post 2673456)
if you have an auto you will need the battery connected in order to shift it out of park etc as required to manoiever the head unit out. IF you remove the climate panel while the battery is still on you will get SRS error so ideally dont do this unless you have a code reader that does the SRS module

I'm wondering about that for my auto - isn't the solution to have the car in gear (?N?) then switch off?

TomP1980 Oct 26th, 2020 15:30

Fitted the GROM audio adaptor. It was really easy.

The stereo came out easily. I purchased some trim tools to remove the trim around the gear leaver. Two torx screws and it was out. The from was plug and play. Really pleased.

barrybritcher Oct 27th, 2020 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by teleplayer (Post 2676117)
I'm wondering about that for my auto - isn't the solution to have the car in gear (?N?) then switch off?

no cos you'll probably have to move it further than N.

I dont care anyway as have a tool to turn off the light