Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Other XC90 Problem: XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63947)

GSMGuy Jan 4th, 2009 23:16

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

I'm convinced that the lengthy delay between depressing the accelerator, and the car actually moving is a DANGER in my XC90..

There have been numerous threads about this in the forum, but I think it's time to raise the issue with Volvo, and the more people who find it a problem, the better.

So, if you drive an XC90 Geartronic D5 and think the delay when pulling away is an issue, please post here so I can gauge numbers...

Please don't post that you don't find it a problem or that yours doesn't do it, as I'd like to keep the thread to the point.

Would be grateful if a mod could sticky this too...

Thanks

Mike

JimBob Jan 5th, 2009 08:27

We have this problem with our 2007 D5 Geartronic and have reported to the dealer who replied firstly that 'wel'll update the software' and when that didn't work 'they're all like that'

My wife an I both believe its a real safety issue which needs addressing having both had 'heart in mouth' moments. Once you adjust your driving style to 'anticipate' and compensate for the issue you are creating another potential hazard.

PM me if you need any additional info as I would like to help send this message to Volvo and hope others will add to this thread.

EDIT: A quick google finds this in the Autoexpress test drive :

The diesel has a fifth ratio in the Geartronic auto box, although it struggles to put this to the best use. Even with 340Nm of torque, the D5 feels underpowered. Expected to average 30.7mpg, it loses composure at high revs and is sluggish, completing the 0-60mph sprint in 12 seconds. Worse still, there's a long delay when pulling away from a standstill.

They know.............do they care?

JimBob

languageservicesco Jan 5th, 2009 13:07

It wasn't such a big issue for me having previously had a MB E300 auto that did the same, but I still think it is dangerous. In particular, it is the seemingly arbitrary nature of the takeoff. Sometimes it goes relatively quickly, sometimes not, sometimes with foot to floor, sometimes with progressive pressure.
Kevin

JOHN 850 Jan 5th, 2009 14:07

I thought this issue was the fact is goes into neutral if stood still in drive for more than so many seconds, but the main stealer can delete this option in the software if you so desired which should making moving off easier. However even with my manual D5 you still have some degree of turbo lag to content with when moving off .......

John.

GSMGuy Jan 5th, 2009 14:45

No it's not that it goes into N that is the prob, and turbo lag wouldn't cause the delay in moving off...

Can we please keep this thread as requested, ie not a discussion of the if's and why's, there are many other threads doing/having done that.. I really just want to know who has it and considers it a problem, or even dangerous, as I now do...

Mike

jtaw45 Jan 5th, 2009 15:01

Yes i also find it a problem in my 04 d5, i try to adapt my driving style but find it's behaviour isn't consistant so that makes that practise very hit and miss.The fact when the delays over that it takes off like a rocket doesn't help either.

AB-UK Jan 5th, 2009 15:51

GSM,
In November 2004 I wrote to Volvo's HQ Customer Services, and part of the letter is reproduced below:-

"Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the 1 to 2 second lag or delay from pressing the accelerator to when the car starts moving - especially when trying to exit from a side road into a stream of traffic - especially fast moving traffic."

"This delay is dangerous."

"This being the case, and I believe this delay or lag is not unknown in these vehicles, does Volvo have a strategy to improve this in current vehicles?"

"You should therefore regard this letter as
1. exhibiting dissatisfaction with the underpowered engine this model has been given;
2. a complaint regarding the delay or lag which geartronic users such as myself experience; and
3. a request to know what and when Volvo are going to do about it."

I have been trying to find the reply I received, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.

However, I remember it was clear from the reply I received that my questions had been ignored, and that Volvo considered the car (163bhp '53 D5 Geartronic) was operating as expected.

I even asked them if RICA tuning would solve the problem - but this was not answered.

Good luck with the quest - a class-action suit, such as occurred to Ford previously over the "Pinto" matter, is not likely to achieve any results until a few deaths have been conclusively attributed to this "delay".

30yearvolvoman Jan 6th, 2009 20:24

Yes, my 55 D5 does it and I have had it to Volvo on many occaissons, I have posted on the forum about my experience with Volvo and their lack of interest.

lakbir Jan 6th, 2009 23:56

xc 90 hesistation in pulling away

I do agree and have also encountered this problem, also note, close to taking dealer to court with other problems on my XC90

stevieb_xc90 Jan 7th, 2009 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaw45 (Post 444402)
Yes i also find it a problem in my 04 d5, i try to adapt my driving style but find it's behaviour isn't consistant so that makes that practise very hit and miss.The fact when the delays over that it takes off like a rocket doesn't help either.

I have the same problem on my 53 plate XC90. It does go after a 1-2 second pause but not like a rocket!

But i am resigning to the fact it is a design fault with the torque transfer box and not the software.. As the It only happens when you are below 1600 RPM.. you need the transfer box to lockup and transfer the power to drive the car rather than just spinning the power away in the working of the box.