Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Simons Exhaust v Standard Exhaust (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174393)

kev240 Feb 28th, 2013 16:30

Simons Exhaust v Standard Exhaust

Will soon need to replace the exhaust on my 122S, was thinking of putting on a Simons Exhaust, (single downpipe), are there any advantages over the standard system, and is there more noise from the Simons system, they both appear to cost more or less the same.
Thanks,
Kevin.

Alf ista Feb 28th, 2013 20:49

Its a well made exhaust. Yes it is a bit noisier, but a nicer noise to some. It does release more power, that is the big advantage. I noticed a big difference when I changed over. The tailpipe treatment dosent suit all though. Slightly boy racerish, but not too bad. I recomend it anyway, lets see what everyone else thinks.

123GT-AMAZON Feb 28th, 2013 21:07

its a sporty sound thats for sure but no way near boy racer now back in the day i had a old mk1 ford festa straight through to a big bore now that was boy racer at its peak two villages away you could hear me coming lol

classicswede Feb 28th, 2013 22:16

I would never ever consider fitting a original exhsut to either a B18 or B20 as they are way undersized and cause massive heat build up on the exhaust valves.

The simons is a good system but the steel quality has gone down hill big time. I have a nearly 20 year old system that has been through two back boxes. A couple of systems from around 5-6 years ago did not manage 2 years before the back box was compeltly shot and teh rest lasted another 18 months before falling apart!

For the above reason I will now only fit a heavy gauge stainless steel system that is nicely flowed like the Simons but with the advantage of being made from propper metal

123GT-AMAZON Feb 28th, 2013 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 1364252)
I would never ever consider fitting a original exhsut to either a B18 or B20 as they are way undersized and cause massive heat build up on the exhaust valves.

The simons is a good system but the steel quality has gone down hill big time. I have a nearly 20 year old system that has been through two back boxes. A couple of systems from around 5-6 years ago did not manage 2 years before the back box was compeltly shot and teh rest lasted another 18 months before falling apart!

For the above reason I will now only fit a heavy gauge stainless steel system that is nicely flowed like the Simons but with the advantage of being made from propper metal

I totally agree with you there classicswede if you have the money spend it wisley on a good system and then it will last the distance and in long run will save you money i know at the time we all think it how much ! but quality lasts and cheap stuff just has a short shelf life .

if your planning on keeping the car i would get a top spec system like the stainless but failing that i always thought a good option was a 4-2-1 manifolid tapped into a centre section of a 123gt rocks and is solid use that and with the branch over axle you can then use a sweet stainless back box as a cheaper choice but still a half decent setup of course thats fine for a amazon maybe a close way for a p1800 thats my plan with my restro im doing atm

davidw6092 Mar 1st, 2013 06:36

simons exhaust

The simons sports system is generally good,but,they do tend to catch on the rear floor area just in front of the middle hangers.Also when the rear box rots out (which doesnt take too long)I have generally replaced it with something of a similar size and noticed an increase in power and more torque low down.

Amazonjulian Mar 1st, 2013 06:55

Fitted a Simons system about a year ago and had some fun getting it to fit over the axle. Ended up jacking the body as high as I could fitting and then slightly twisting the pipe. I like the sound the system makes and certainly noticed an increase in power.

Faust Mar 1st, 2013 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazonjulian (Post 1364345)
Fitted a Simons system about a year ago and had some fun getting it to fit over the axle. Ended up jacking the body as high as I could fitting and then slightly twisting the pipe. I like the sound the system makes and certainly noticed an increase in power.

I had exactly the same problem when I fitted my system... it took a fair bit of fiddling and swearing to get the rear pipe in position.

I’d recommend the Simonz system though: it seems to free up a bit of power and has a nice ‘burble’ without sound overly boy racer (mine is mated to a Simonz 4 branch exhaust manifold).

Mine has been on the car for almost 2 years and I’ve not noticed any holes or rot yet.

Derek UK Mar 1st, 2013 13:24

Kevin. Look on page 5 of the current Driver and maybe consider a stainless system. Standard is a similar price to a Simons and there is a larger bore system for about £90 extra. Go for the stainless clamps if you get one.

PenR Mar 1st, 2013 23:42

I have the Simons ready to fit but in my experience its the manifold that 'extracts' most from the engine. So, when cash allows I will be getting a 4 branch. Anyone got any reccomendations??
PenR