Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555)

RoyMacDonald Sep 24th, 2015 19:09

There is a log of talk about mpg being less in actual driving conditions than the standard lab test, but I don't see how it can be done on the road with a human driver. When I drive our V40 Cross Country D2 Powershift I achive 68 mpg (about the test figure) As soon as my wife drives it she gets 56 mpg. When I drive our 2003 XC90 D5 Geartronic I always get 40 mpg, when my daughter drives it she gets 35 mpg!

Maybe I should volunteer to test drive for VW. :teeth_smile:

007 Sep 25th, 2015 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 1985406)
There is a lot of talk about mpg being less in actual driving conditions than the standard lab test

Due to lower coefficients and no 'hills' lab results are a cheat for 'real world' mpg (and under review)

That said what VW have actually done is beneficial to the driver as if you reduce the NOx management systems (especially EGR) you actually improve a cars performance and mpg.

The VW cars run clean and strangled to death on the test bed... but dirty and far more efficiently out on the road - so don't hate them too much (unless you are an out and out tree hugger)

ps I drive my car how I want - I can achieve 66 mpg and I can achieve 36 mpg as the mood takes me

Flux Sep 25th, 2015 15:24

Any reason why Volvo don't go down the AdBlue route? The new discovery sport 2.0D engine uses this and appears to be a more obvious route to go as all the 'NOx cleaning' take place post-combustion and no need to send dirty emissions twice around the engine. Thus, presumably, having little effect on the power or strangulation of the combustion cycle?

There is a clip on this link explaining how the AdBlue injection works.

http://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership...standards.html

PS. I'm not promoting JLR but just noticed that they have some interesting stuff on the subject.....................and I'd rather top up a separate tank every few thousand miles than constantly worry that the EGR might be getting clogged up every time I go on a short journey......or the weather is damp!

wimorrison Sep 25th, 2015 17:31

I think you might find that they still have some form of an EGR - but happy to be corrected, the DPF is the route that Volvo chose rather than ad-blue.

Might be interesting when the VW results come out whether DOF engines are affected to the same extent as the Ad-blue engines.

GMcL Sep 25th, 2015 18:26

I believe Volvo and BMW have both gone down the EGR route.
BMW are vehemently denying any wrong doing with their results. They'd have to be pretty stupid to do that if they thought anything was amiss considering they will be tested regardless as to what they say.

RoyMacDonald Sep 25th, 2015 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux (Post 1985964)
Any reason why Volvo don't go down the AdBlue route? The new discovery sport 2.0D engine uses this and appears to be a more obvious route to go as all the 'NOx cleaning' take place post-combustion and no need to send dirty emissions twice around the engine. Thus, presumably, having little effect on the power or strangulation of the combustion cycle?

There is a clip on this link explaining how the AdBlue injection works.

http://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership...standards.html

PS. I'm not promoting JLR but just noticed that they have some interesting stuff on the subject.....................and I'd rather top up a separate tank every few thousand miles than constantly worry that the EGR might be getting clogged up every time I go on a short journey......or the weather is damp!

Did you notice that the Euro 6 levels rules don't apply to the Defender as it's classed as a commercial vehicle. Also pays different tax. £125 a year. Same class in the USA doesn't have to meet the pollution regs either. All a big cynical joke from the "outraged" media.

wimorrison Sep 25th, 2015 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald (Post 1986107)
Did you notice that the Euro 6 levels rules don't apply to the Defender as it's classed as a commercial vehicle. Also pays different tax. £125 a year. Same class in the USA doesn't have to meet the pollution regs either. All a big cynical joke from the "outraged" media.

They found a very easy way to get round the Euro 6 regulations with the Defender - they simply stopped making it.

You don't have to meet regulations when you dont make them ;)

RoyMacDonald Sep 26th, 2015 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 1986140)
They found a very easy way to get round the Euro 6 regulations with the Defender - they simply stopped making it.

You don't have to meet regulations when you dont make them ;)

I meant for the forthcoming London pollution charge mentioned in the newspaper article. It applies to all none euro 6 cars but not commercial ones.

007 Oct 6th, 2015 09:15

11,700 miles and tortoise made a brief appearance last night - just 6k miles after last time ! :-(

Here we go again - expecting it back on in next few days

V40 D4 with blocked EGR cooler round II

The Tinkerer Oct 6th, 2015 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 1990738)
11,700 miles and tortoise made a brief appearance last night - just 6k miles after last time ! :-(

Here we go again - expecting it back on in next few days

V40 D4 with blocked EGR cooler round II

Sorry to hear this. On my own S60 D4 (EGR valve and cooler replaced at around 7,000 miles and 7 months), I recently found that one of the main vacuum hoses from the vac distributor block seemed flattened.

It was the hose that feeds vacuum to the actuator that opens and shuts an EGR-related flap, and to the actuators that control the flow of coolant around the EGR cooler.

When I investigated, the hose had completely collapsed under vacuum, making the complete system of EGR / coolant actuators inoperative - see this thread here for full description and pics: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237311

I'd be interested to see if the same hose on your car is OK, or if it's been flattened.