Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   insurance for polestar upgraded V90 CC D4 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314433)

Moodygaz Feb 19th, 2021 22:13

insurance for polestar upgraded V90 CC D4

I have just got a polestar upgrade today for my Cross Country after a couple of weeks of ownership, and have notified my insurance (Aviva) who have told me that they can no longer insure the car and for me to cancel forthwith. So can anyone point me to an insurance company who wont get cold feet for such a minor change in spec.

Sceptre123 Feb 19th, 2021 22:21

Direct line or Admiral are both ok with it.

With DL you need to call them and they confirmed to me it’s no extra cost.

Moonlanders Feb 19th, 2021 22:42

I had no extra cost at Direct Line either.

MikeGMT Feb 19th, 2021 23:15

I had the same scenario with my insurer when I added Polestar, they told me to sling my hook. Got a quote from Volvo Insurance and they beat my previous insurer on price.

Volvo Car Insurance

swil00 Feb 20th, 2021 00:08

No issues with Elephant for me.

Most insurers will accept a remap for a small charge as long as its less than 20% power increase.

I fitted an uprated intercooler to my old S60 D5 and the choice of insurers went down the toilet.

key76 Feb 20th, 2021 13:57

I had it done on my S90 before I took delivery but declared it to insurer. I was with LV at the time and they didn't care, and renewed with AA since and they don't care. No increase in premium either time.

Moodygaz Feb 20th, 2021 14:07

Cheers everyone! I got it sorted through Volvo insurance, aviva wants £56 for cancellation so I’ve put in a complaint to get that back seeing as it was them that wanted the cancellation!

simonjedrake Feb 20th, 2021 20:17

No extra cost with LV for Polestar upgrade.

theonlyone Feb 20th, 2021 20:26

I know it's been asked before, but how many of you have done the upgrade from a D4? (mine's a Cross Country).

and are you joyous? :)

I'm close to ordering ...

MikeGMT Feb 20th, 2021 20:33

I've no regrets, so I suppose you could say I am joyous. :regular_smile:

theonlyone Feb 20th, 2021 21:10

Just checking. Joyous is more than being just happy. :)

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Feb 22nd, 2021 19:57

Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Rustyfrog Feb 23rd, 2021 20:04

Cost me an extra £3 to cover remaining 8 months with LV

laundryman Feb 23rd, 2021 20:54

only snag on the insurance front is you have to declare you have been refused cover!

Kenp8257 Feb 23rd, 2021 22:16

I've been really tempted to bite the bullet on getting the Polestar upgrade (MY17 S90 D4 R-Design) however, my fears on insurance have swayed me against this....

I may be lucky on insurance this year, but next year? What if an insurance company refuses to insure?

Yes, the upgrade may make the gear changes smoother, less delay etc but tbh its not that bad..... the stock D4 has enough oomph....

If only it was a simple (permanent) "within 5% power uograde therefore no change....."

Moonlanders Feb 24th, 2021 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenp8257 (Post 2712659)
I've been really tempted to bite the bullet on getting the Polestar upgrade (MY17 S90 D4 R-Design) however, my fears on insurance have swayed me against this....

I may be lucky on insurance this year, but next year? What if an insurance company refuses to insure?

Yes, the upgrade may make the gear changes smoother, less delay etc but tbh its not that bad..... the stock D4 has enough oomph....

If only it was a simple (permanent) "within 5% power uograde therefore no change....."

When I was discussing this with Direct Line, their view at that time (12 months ago) was that as Polestar is available as a standard option on a factory order car, then it is not classed as an upgrade, it is simply classed as an option, the same way the 360 camera is, or the HK or B&W system.

I would suggest discussing it in this way with your insurer. Simply a factory option being added after the event.