Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   850 Part replacement / upgrade (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305182)

Gonzobard Apr 10th, 2020 13:50

850 Part replacement / upgrade

I have a largely stock 1996 850 R which I may want to upgrade for more power. However, before that I have some further ‘get well’ issues to sort. This potentially includes a radiator replacement, coolant hoses, oil pipes etc. The question relates to using oem spec radiator or upgraded radiator, such as DO88 - is the extra expense of an upgraded radiator worth it for my needs? (any upgrade might be to 280ish hp).

Whilst replacing the radiator is it worth replacing the intercooler for new, again oem or upgraded? I do intend to fit a RIP kit, that seems a logical upgrade to make. Thanks for your thoughts.

winsox Apr 10th, 2020 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzobard (Post 2618316)
I have a largely stock 1996 850 R which I may want to upgrade for more power. However, before that I have some further ‘get well’ issues to sort. This potentially includes a radiator replacement, coolant hoses, oil pipes etc. The question relates to using oem spec radiator or upgraded radiator, such as DO88 - is the extra expense of an upgraded radiator worth it for my needs? (any upgrade might be to 280ish hp).

Whilst replacing the radiator is it worth replacing the intercooler for new, again oem or upgraded? I do intend to fit a RIP kit, that seems a logical upgrade to make. Thanks for your thoughts.

Is it a manual or Auto ?

is it original turbo ??

What work has it had done ?

Gonzobard Apr 10th, 2020 22:51

It was an auto, now converted to a manual and 16t turbo, turbo having been rebuilt. I believe it has new piston rings. It has a larger bore cat-back exhaust but a standard downpipe and recently a standard cat. I think it has a standard ecu, I have no reason to believe it has been modified (I have a limited history with the car).

Cookeh Apr 10th, 2020 23:13

Definitely won't be standard ECU. At the minimum the ECU will have been modified to trick the auto config into working with manual.

If the upgrades are certain to occur then there is no harm in plumping for upgrades at this point or as part of preventative maintenance.

Mkengineering Apr 11th, 2020 12:55

If your only wanting 280ish then OEM parts are more than enough.

Theres a few guys on sweedesports and boosted Brick Cartel running silly power with oem parts. So yes you will be fine, however if you got a chance to upgrade then why not 👍🏾

Gonzobard Apr 11th, 2020 14:11

Thanks MKengineering, I guess I’ll stick with an oem radiator as a minimum. I’ll think about an updated intercooler but doesn’t sound like a necessity.

winsox Apr 11th, 2020 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cookeh (Post 2618453)
Definitely won't be standard ECU. At the minimum the ECU will have been modified to trick the auto config into working with manual.

If the upgrades are certain to occur then there is no harm in plumping for upgrades at this point or as part of preventative maintenance.

I ran the original mapped ECU from the Auto in the manual (4.3)with no issues apart from its lack of finesse when your came on and off the throttle.

I had about 270BHP with just a map on a 16t but that was some time back.. Lots have changed on my car since then !

As it been said 280BHP is probably just about reachable on the OEM stuff you have as long as its in good condition .

Gonzobard Apr 11th, 2020 14:43

Thanks Winsox. I have noticed that when coming off the throttle to change gear the revs can rise with a blip. I had thought it was just poor timing from me with the accelerator pedal.
I assume I may need a custom remap then to allow for the change in transmission, if it hasn’t already been done.

PNuT Apr 11th, 2020 15:38

If it rises it is probably a manual ecu

Gonzobard Apr 11th, 2020 15:45

OK, thanks.