Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: VW Diesel Scandal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=236994)

gmonag Sep 23rd, 2015 09:44

VW Diesel Scandal

Does anyone know if Volvo are likely to be caught out the same way as VW regarding "defeating" emmissions tests?

Greg

Ducklakeview Sep 23rd, 2015 10:21

They are probably all at it - AFAIK, the manufacturers' themselves do the testing, so it's likely to be as "accurate" as their fuel consumption testing...

Mike

gmonag Sep 23rd, 2015 10:52

I don't have a late model diesel (MY2005) so I don't know if newer Volvo engines use urea like the VWs. Are there any tricks the Volvo engines could use?

Greg

Tannaton Sep 23rd, 2015 11:44

I think it's going to be a bit like Lance Armstrong - he was the first to get rumbled doping in the Tour De France and he coughed for it and was punished. However what about the people who came 2nd and 3rd? Cyling is one of the few sports where competitors have got slower in the past 10 years...

I suspect they are all at it - but in different ways and varying degrees. The industry would have known - the transition of staff between the various manufacturers would have seen to that - hundreds of people must have known within VAG. However I would be very surprised if Volvo were doing quite the same thing.

It will also be interesting to see what the public uptake is for the "fixes" - would you want new software that improved emissions but made your car slower, less economical and less smooth?

GreenBrick Sep 23rd, 2015 12:21

I wonder how many people are going to demand their money back and return their cars? As they will certainly perform worse, otherwise the "defeat" wouldn't be necessary.

DC850 Sep 23rd, 2015 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 1984579)
It will also be interesting to see what the public uptake is for the "fixes" - would you want new software that improved emissions but made your car slower, less economical and less smooth?

Could be a moveto a higher tax bracket? Would you that if that's the reason you selected the was the lower tax. And then there's the resale value on that. ..

davidsmith1307 Sep 23rd, 2015 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBrick (Post 1984592)
I wonder how many people are going to demand their money back and return their cars? As they will certainly perform worse, otherwise the "defeat" wouldn't be necessary.

I believe that people won't notice anything in daily running. The defeat only did anything under testing conditions.
The defeat also does nothing on European emissions tests as they are done differently.

volvorocks Sep 23rd, 2015 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidsmith1307 (Post 1984620)
I believe that people won't notice anything in daily running. The defeat only did anything under testing conditions.
The defeat also does nothing on European emissions tests as they are done differently.

If the 'defeat' had been operating during normal driving conditions there would have been an impact on driving performance. Maybe people would not notice, don't think my father would notice for example whereas I probably would ,but it would be there.

Regards

ifzal123 Sep 23rd, 2015 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC850 (Post 1984593)
Could be a moveto a higher tax bracket? Would you that if that's the reason you selected the was the lower tax. And then there's the resale value on that. ..

My nephew has VW Passat CC GTD, just gone 3 years old. The Road tax bracket is unlikely to phase him since his car tax is £110 p.a, How high could it go £200-£300. He adores the car and would have still have purchased it even if the emissions were higher. He is more annoyed at the fact the a major brand has been deceitful. I suspect most owners wont be demanding refunds but will take this deception into account when considering a VW in the future.

Tannaton Sep 23rd, 2015 23:09

I dint think the damage to the VAG brands will be that great, notice they have decided to pin it on Volkswagen but some Audi were affected too.

I don't think customers will have cause to reject cars either - they are still fit for purpose.