Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   "Making" a V40 sport from an S... advice may be required? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173868)

Samwell Feb 22nd, 2013 12:31

"Making" a V40 sport from an S... advice may be required?

Hello all

Ive given up trying to find and buy my ideal V40 diesel Sport Lux, it appears they are just too difficult to get hold of and most sellers think its better to sell to other people for less than let me see the car even though i get first refusal (some bitterness may be detected??)

So anyway, Ive found a nice S model which has everything under the bonnet that i want and on the inside and price.. but i want to spec it up to the Sport or Sport Lux spec. As far as i can tell, due to the spec of this S being quite high, I will need:

- front spoiler
- rear spoiler
- Arcadia alloys
- sport headlight bezels/indicators

to bring it to a well specced Lux copy. I know the alloys arent specificly Sport Lux but are certainly the nicest.

Is there anything i havent thought of from the above that separates these models? I had thought suspension, but have found this S model has the self levelling suspension which appears to be an expensive upgrade. Are the brakes the same? Do you foresee any problems? Any advice and help is muchly appreciated!

fat tony Feb 22nd, 2013 12:48

As far as i am aware, there isn't a 'standard' sport lux spec.

Every one i have seen has been different in some way, my S40 sport lux didn't have the black bezel indicators, but had the xenon headlights!

I'm just slowly working my way through the option list, to get the car i want, even down to trying to decipher some japanese on the web to get hold of power folding mirrors lol

gatos Feb 22nd, 2013 12:53

I have a 1.9D S S40. It came with half leather seats, but already had the sport trims.
I would leave the suspension as it is if I was you. Brakes are the same in all models.

What colour is your car by the way?

Here is a list of things I've done to our 1.9D: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...6&postcount=10

960kg Feb 22nd, 2013 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat tony (Post 1359388)
As far as i am aware, there isn't a 'standard' sport lux spec.

Every one i have seen has been different in some way, my S40 sport lux didn't have the black bezel indicators, but had the xenon headlights!

You are quite right, not only about the X40 but all earlier Volvo`s.

All the electrics are there for every type of extra the owner required when it was purchased it was just connected to the loom.

I had a spec. sheet when i bought my 960, so although it was the CD top of the range model there were items missing that were there in others not quite so specified.

My Black S40 1.8 Sport which i have sold recently had the same alloy wheels as my `98 T4 and was not even up to the spec. of it. Manual A/C with inferior heating panel on the dash. The suspension was the same height and it was the most hardest uncomfortable X40 i have been in. It also had ordinary twin T4 clear lens headlights.

Nothing Sport or Special at all.

Samwell Feb 22nd, 2013 15:58

Thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate it.

Seems like this is a high spec S model. My old Sport had everything i wanted until a jag took me out.. Im very keen to get back into a v40 again.

Gatos, do you still have the front spoiler/splitter off you breaking lux and a rear spoiler too?

gatos Feb 23rd, 2013 00:46

Both sold I am afraid ages ago. I have a green splitter and a blue one in case you are interested.

Samwell Feb 23rd, 2013 10:20

Hi Gatos

ok, thanks.. definately interested in one if i get the car. colours not an issue as ill paint it. can you msg me photos? Got a rear spoiler by any chance? :)

Neillyboy78 Feb 23rd, 2013 17:27

Samwell....i have a set of Xenons that i will be putting up for sale once i take some photo's,They are from a 2001 Sport.....send me a p.m if your intrested!

gatos Feb 23rd, 2013 17:53

Will do. No spoiler i am afraid.

Samwell Feb 23rd, 2013 20:26

Neilly... sounds awesome, do let me know! I found kits on ebay for not as much as i thought but id much prefer the proper units :D