Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Performance air filter or stock? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274114)

Tony500 Oct 22nd, 2017 17:47

Performance air filter or stock?

Anyone got a performance air filter? Have been debating about with myself for a while and not sure what to do...

Going to change the air filter soon and not too sure to buy a pipercross panel filter or just a mann filter again? As ive read, stay away from K&N as they are oiled and dust can still pass by the filter. Not seen anything bad about pipercross and they are cheaper too!
Mainly its for mpg and if there is any turbo noise its an added bonus!

Thanks.

tommyweaves Oct 22nd, 2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony500 (Post 2330107)
Anyone got a performance air filter? Have been debating about with myself for a while and not sure what to do...

Going to change the air filter soon and not too sure to buy a pipercross panel filter or just a mann filter again? As ive read, stay away from K&N as they are oiled and dust can still pass by the filter. Not seen anything bad about pipercross and they are cheaper too!
Mainly its for mpg and if there is any turbo noise its an added bonus!

Thanks.

My instinct is to stick to a quality OEM filter. I doubt it would make much difference to mpg or hp power as you have a turbo sucking the air through. My main reason though is for the health of the MAF sensor which is very sensitive to any contamination.

Model flyer Oct 22nd, 2017 19:51

Keep to quality OEM filter . You won improve mpg but will allow particulates through that may damage engine. If you really want to improve mpg then a remap is the best way to go but do tell or ask your insurers before remapping as some don't like it and hike your premiums up.

Waynedance Oct 24th, 2017 13:48

Keep OEM, looked into this before in detail and seen many comparison tests.

Tatsfield Oct 24th, 2017 13:57

I suspect that there is a lot of doom spread about K&N filters that may be excessively pessimistic. I fitted them on three Peugeot petrol V6 Coupes over 15 years. I benefited from increased performance once the induction inlet was modified and the exhaust free flowed. None of the engines suffered any damage that I could notice over this period, but the PSA V6 lump is a very sturdy engine. I did find that owners of the diesel engined 406 reported that they didn't find that their performance improved very much, so based on that experience, I'd suggest that these oil bathed cotton filters don't help diesel engines very much and to stick with the Volvo OEM filter, but not because K&N are in any way a hazard to the engine.

tt82 Oct 24th, 2017 17:38

I have heard it said that stock filters are good for up to 400bhp. I think I'd rather have a stock paper filter and not have to worry about over oiling an after market item and causing MAF issues.

steadvex Oct 24th, 2017 17:57

only car I ever had that was helped from a 'performance' filter was a non ecu bound Isuzu 1.7 diesel in a cavalier some many moons ago.

Drastically changed the performance of the car, fitted a green air filter to it.

Bought a green air filter to pop in the car it replaced, absolutely no difference, I figure with modern engines being controlled completely by the ECU unless its programmed in to accept the difference will be none to minimal at best.

Saying that, I still want to buy one for the car today, I know its pointless, but I like the warm fuzzy feeling of it making a difference in my mind !

Tony500 Oct 25th, 2017 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadvex (Post 2330802)

Saying that, I still want to buy one for the car today, I know its pointless, but I like the warm fuzzy feeling of it making a difference in my mind !

Snap!

I know it won’t do much but something I’ve always come back to. It was when I was doing a wheel bearing on my car I got a discount code and worked out like £40 saving and the filter was like £36.

Will just buy another man or bosch filter now though lol