Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Clay bar on the 940 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339040)

360beast Mar 28th, 2024 10:00

Clay bar on the 940

I've never used a clay bar before, auto finesse had some massive discounts (up to 70% off end of line products) in January so I stocked up on nearly £200 of goodies for less than half that, including a clay bar and clay bar lubricant.

Now I've never used one before so I wasn't sure what to expect, I gave it a thorough jet wash as it was rather green from being laid up since October. I then washed it using the two bucket method and then dried it, on to the clay bar next. I was expecting a big car like the 940 to take ages to do but it only actually took about 45 minutes which was a pleasant surprise.

The amount of grime it took off was unbelievable, it was mainly yellow which means sap, I've got a triple polish (cutting compound, polish and wax in one) to do still and then apply carnauba wax after but so far I'm incredibly happy with the results.

I can't wait for it to stop bucketing down so I can get the polish and wax stage done, however I think it will need another wash before then.

I'll take some photos once done and stick them in my project thread.

If anyone is thinking of wether or not to use a clay bar then I would highly recommend.

Steve 940 Mar 28th, 2024 10:12

Hi Luke,

+1 for the effectiveness of clay bars, I've used the Bilt Hamber medium, and as you say, they remove so much 'hidden' grime.

Cheers
Steve

RollingThunder Mar 28th, 2024 12:36

I've only used it once on a full car, but I try to do the windscreen twice a year - its amazing the amound of 'hidden' debris that the claybar removes. I'm hoping that it makes the wiper blades last a bit longer too!

ie940 Mar 28th, 2024 13:10

I too used claybar for the first time at the weekend and the results are amazing, gritty paint to glossy and smooth

360beast Mar 28th, 2024 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingThunder (Post 2942748)
I've only used it once on a full car, but I try to do the windscreen twice a year - its amazing the amound of 'hidden' debris that the claybar removes. I'm hoping that it makes the wiper blades last a bit longer too!

I never thought to use it on the windscreen, my wiper blades even though they're new Bosch don't clear the windscreen as much as I'd like and I wonder if this would help.

griston64 Mar 28th, 2024 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 360beast (Post 2942758)
I never thought to use it on the windscreen, my wiper blades even though they're new Bosch don't clear the windscreen as much as I'd like and I wonder if this would help.

Been using a claybar for a while. Very good on alloys as well. I then finish them with Poorboys wheel sealant

https://i.postimg.cc/50XJL9Qv/IMG-0432.jpg

Windscreen tip is a good one :teeth_smile:

Selby Mar 28th, 2024 14:43

The clay mitt is a game changer for me. So much quicker than the clay bar and more or less as good.

Steve 940 Mar 28th, 2024 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selby (Post 2942777)
The clay mitt is a game changer for me. So much quicker than the clay bar and more or less as good.

Oh I say Selby, that could be a game changer, as a normal clay bar you have to keep folding and refolding, then you drop it on the ground.........:angry_smile:

Cheers
Steve

Simmy Mar 28th, 2024 19:02

clay mitt is available from ECP and is abt £15 really easy to use and far faster with no chance of dropping on the floor its all i ever use. and washable and reusable.

360beast Mar 28th, 2024 19:22

I did look in to a mitt but a few detailing forums people were saying they used the mitt and then went over it with the bar and it was still coming up filthy, it's also harder to get in to tight spaces where as the clay can be shaped to get in to those areas, handy for getting around the spoiler mounts on my 940.