Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Car Pulling Hard Left Under Braking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338038)

XC90KidNI Feb 11th, 2024 16:31

Car Pulling Hard Left Under Braking

Hi Guys - been having an issue where my XC90 is pulling hard to the left under braking. The following items have been checked/ replaced:
  1. Both Front Shocks
  2. Wishbones Both Sides
  3. Checked Tyre Pressures

I’ve also pulled the calipers off. Both sliding pins cleaned/ greased and moving without issue. Don’t think caliper piston is the issue either as able to retract it back into the caliper with no issue.

Anyone any thoughts?

john.wigley Feb 11th, 2024 19:34

You seem to have covered most bases already.

Is it only when braking? If so, just check braking or emergency braking? Does the car steer straight and true otherwise - hands off - under normal driving conditions (gently following the camber, if any, excepted)? Is it possible that a steering component has become bent or damaged as a result of striking a big pothole for instance, perhaps?

Regards, John.

XC90KidNI Feb 11th, 2024 20:08

Thanks for your reply John.

It pulls under both ‘normal’ and ‘emergency’ braking.

I don’t recall hitting any large potholes…and one thing I neglected to mention in my original post was that I just had a 4 wheel alignment done on it (approx 1 day ago).

Thanks

buick boy Feb 11th, 2024 23:55

Have you tried bleeding the brakes . It's worth a try before spending out on any parts .

BorderVolvo Feb 12th, 2024 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by buick boy (Post 2935499)
Have you tried bleeding the brakes . It's worth a try before spending out on any parts .

A good shout, I'd suggest swapping the brake pads from side to side as well, swap wheels too.

XC90KidNI Feb 12th, 2024 09:22

Thanks guys - brake fluid has been changed and brakes bled within the last couple of weeks.

Cheers

Clan Feb 12th, 2024 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90KidNI (Post 2935441)
Hi Guys - been having an issue where my XC90 is pulling hard to the left under braking. The following items have been checked/ replaced:
  1. Both Front Shocks
  2. Wishbones Both Sides
  3. Checked Tyre Pressures

I’ve also pulled the calipers off. Both sliding pins cleaned/ greased and moving without issue. Don’t think caliper piston is the issue either as able to retract it back into the caliper with no issue.

Anyone any thoughts?

The biggest problem with this is non volvo poor quality wishbone bushes. did you use genuine Volvo Parts ?

XC90KidNI Feb 12th, 2024 15:45

Thanks, Cian - That’s what I’m trying to ascertain today as I e read some interesting stories online (work was done by a mechanic).

Does anyone have an idea as to how much genuine Volvo arms cost?

Cheers

Kev0607 Feb 12th, 2024 15:47

As an approximate guess, I'd say genuine control arms are around £200-£220 plus VAT each.

Phone your local dealer and ask to be sure, but that's a rough estimate.

XC90KidNI Feb 12th, 2024 16:03

Thanks, Kev. I was expecting something like that.

Dealer quoted me £317 per side (inclusive of VAT). Thought that was a little on the high side if I’m honest.